Handsome

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Thought I’d add a snake portrait to the usual mix in this category. I think this was a common garter snake checking me out with his tongue. We crossed paths in upstate New York a couple years ago as he was sunning himself.

Specific Feedback

All comments and suggestions are welcome and thanks for viewing.

Technical Details

Sony RX10M4, ISO 100, f/7.1, 1/400, HH, 526mm. Post adjustments included brightening shadows and midtone areas, a little contrast boost, and slight crop.

Awww, I love snakes and miss these guys. Not that we have no snakes or Garters in Wisconsin, but I see far fewer snakes here than I did in New Hampshire. Weird. And I don’t think any of my snake shots include that lovely little tongue flicking out. Nice catch for sure. I see a lot of green in the shadows so maybe taking a look at the magenta slider will correct that. Cropping the bit of darkish reddish stuff in the ULC could be a good thing as well as maybe cloning out the green shadows on the right. The ones from a plant look pretty good although harsh, and tell the story of where the snake is more than those other two things IMO. Maybe this will be a better year for snakes for me. I found a huge Bull snake crossing the road last year, but was too caught up in getting it to safety than for pictures. Plenty of cars around and so I herded it away.

@Kris_Smith , thank you for your nice comments and I’ll attempt to make those corrections you mentioned, that I hadn’t even noticed.

Nice shot of this garter snake Jim. Your DOF gives a nice focus on the head, and the eye and that tongue are great! I can see what Kris has mentioned, but didn’t really notice it until she pointed it out. I think her suggestions would definitely help.

Thank you @Ed_Williams for your nice comments. Yes, her suggestions would clean it up a bit.

Jim, how nice to catch this one with it’s tongue out…that’s challenging. The pose is good and you’ve got the head and eye nice and sharp.