Garter snake

This is the female garter snake that was part of a mating trio by my pond last week as the weather warmed up. While the trio was first found enjoying some sunshine, by the time this one posed with her head raised, the sun had become hidden, so I couldn’t get the tongue sharp with good dof…maybe next year. (7D2, 100-400 @ 400, 1/80 s, f/18, iso 400, tripod, full frame)

1 Like

Hi Mark,

The snake is nice and sharp and she provided a nice portrait opportunity for you. Shutter speed is always a dilemma for any photographer. You will get other opportunities so I expect you will have another set of images in the near future. Well done.

I kind of like the blurry tongue and sense of motion. Their tongues are so fast, this looks just right!

Mark, first I must state that I am not fond of snakes, but doing better at it, as I know now that some are essential to our environment. That said, this to me is a great head shot. The head raised, the tongue in motion, as Mark said, actually adds to the image the sense of motion. Very well captured.

Mark, I do agree with the others, I like the tongue movement. It adds some excitement to the scene. Also, did I see your reflection in the eye ball?? It is so incredibly sharp. Great photo.

Mark: Really good plane of focus management and I agree with the others regarding the tongue movement. Nice catch and a fine capture. >=))>

Beautiful image, Mark! Wow to have these snakes in your own pond. As said the tongue makes the image although it is not frozen. :+1:

Hi Mark, great detail in the snake’s body. Love that eye. Tongue motion adds to the dynamic sense of the image for me.