Watching the pond

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is a young Northern Watersnake (most likely…) that has moved into my backyard pond this summer. It’s about a foot long (1/3 m) in total and is somewhat approachable, if I move slowly. This was taken as it stuck just it’s head out from under the rocks lining the side of the pond, with me about 2 feet away.

Technical Details

R5, 180 mm macro, 1/5 s, f/10, iso 800, tripod. A 20 shot stack to get the snake sharp.

Mark, it looks like he is keeping a keen eye on your pond, probably looking for something to feed on. Kudos to you for being able to capture a 20-shot stack of a snake. I would have done well to have gotten one shot off. I like the fact that he is up above the water, which lets the pond and surroundings be oof, making a nice BG. For me, the oof LRC is a bit distracting, so wondering if you would improve the image more by cropping in some to remove that? Just a thought. Wonderful details in the snake.

Any chance I wonder of a dramatic shot from opposite and below the snake? This one is good, but there must be scope for more shots, if you find that he’s often in the same spot.

Mark, a really neat perspective here. Gives thoughts of wondering what maybe on this snakes mind traveling amongst the open air pond terrain overall… :+1:

Hi Mark, really neat perspective as we anticipate the snake’s next move. Details on the snake look good too. I like the crop chosen. I am wondering if taking out some the elements in front of the snake and above in the pond would help the image. Nice capture.