From the Pond

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I found this shed snake skin in my pond plants. I’m sure it’s from the small Northern Water Snake who has been hanging out. I spread the skin and moved it to a location that would catch some sun, knowing that the sun would create some iridescence in the thin skin. If you look carefully, you’ll see that both eyes show in the skin off the top of the head, while it’s the belly skin that shows iridescence.

Technical Details

R5, 180mm macro, 1/80 s, f/8, iso 800, tripod & 2 s timer. A 49 shot stack that shows about 2 inches of the snake skin.

2 Likes

That is really cool, Mark. We have plenty of garter snakes with one that uses our pond, but I’ve never found a fresh shed. I’ll have to keep my eye out. The green concrete makes a great background for it.

Mark, this is remarkable. I never would have thought a snake skin would look anything like this. I was trying to figure out what it was and had to read your description. Well seen and captured.

What a great idea! And kudos for not damaging the skin. A larger crop would make it even more abstract. 49 shots - that’s nearly as many as the scales!

Hi Mark, I really like snakes so this is a really interesting image to me. Love seeing the different parts of the body portrayed in the laid out skin. Cool frame.

Great capture, Mark. Amazing detail and the lighting came out very well. The composition was well done