Heading Out to Forage (Great Blue Heron)

Image Description

It was colder in SE Michigan this morning than what I experienced in Northern Minnesota. 19 degrees out and I decided to head out at sunrise. Great Blue Herons were at the rookery and was able to get some nice flight shots of the birds in early morning sun. Great blue herons are wonderful subjects to hone focusing skills as birds in flight are not my strong suit. I liked the wing position and was quite pleased with the overall image quality with a 1.4x teleconverter on the 600mm f4.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

My in-flight composition was a little tight on top so I added canvas and filled in the area with the color of the sky. I also cropped it slightly for composition.

Technical Details

Nikon Z9 600mm f4 + 1.4x Teleconverter (1/4000 sec. at f8.0, ISO 1600)

2 Likes

I love the dramatic pose you caught, with wonderful detail and nice underwing light!

1 Like

Nice lighting and pose and I like the light as well. A fine pose except the bird appears to be slightly looking away from us. Well composed with room for the bird to fly into.

1 Like

Thank you @Diane_Miller and @Allen_Sparks for the critiques. I wish that the heron was flying more towards me which would be nice to have…Jim

Not always the choices we might want in nature photography. What counts is what you made of the opportunity presented. You’ll get other flight angles another day.

1 Like