Hjørundfjorden view

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

While on our private curise of Hjørundfjorden we got to see a lot of tiny villages and farms on the shores. Unbelievable beauty, but what a difficult place to farm. Many were abandoned, but many weren’t. We were so lucky for these low clouds that completely dispersed for the rest of our time in Norway.

From what we gathered, this fjord is one of the more friendly for settlement as it has some flat and less steep parts that can be farmed. With great difficulty, but every available nook was used. The presence of the mountains is so immediate and intense simply because they are so close with no foothills to ease into them or give you distance. While they aren’t tall peaks, they have dominance over the landscape. I have some views without houses or buildings, but like this one for the scale it provides and the story it tells about life here. If I need to move it to Everything else, let me know. No worries.

Specific Feedback

Am thinking about printing this one for my wall, albeit maybe in a different aspect ratio, so any thoughts about that are welcome. I have more room to play with on all sides except left.

Technical Details

Handheld on a pretty quick moving cabin cruiser.

Lr for the crop and work to improve color and luminosity using a variety of tools including wb, masks, lens correction, texture and vibrance.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

I can see why you are considering a print of this scene for your wall Kris. This looks like a wonderful memory from a special place. I love the mood with the low hanging clouds and the fact the the BG mountain is playing peak a boo with the viewer. The buildings do provide a nice sense of scale especially the red one! I like the pano format although my preference would be a little more of a crop from the right side along with the top. I hope you do not mind, but here is a repost with what I was thinking. Just my opinion of course.

This is a wonderful pano Kris. I was also thinking that it might benefit from just a slight crop from the top and from the right, but I would leave in the little tree at the right edge of the open grass. You may also consider lightening the horizontal plane with the buildings and peeking mountain and darkening the top and bottom just a bit. What a beautiful place.

What a lovely “big” view. I bet it was a wonderful place to be. Glad it came out; it’s not easy to photograph when you’re on a boat on the water.

I’ll throw my vote in for just a bit off the top too Kris. It brings the eye in to the better parts of the image better; the top doesn’t pull its weight quite as well.

Nice composition and sense of scale imparted by the houses. I agree with the others about the crop. I feel the featureless clouds are a little too prominent.

Thanks @Ed_Lowe, @John_Williams, @Ed_Williams & @Michael_Lowe - it was a fantastic day touring this fjord. The crop works, Ed - oh how I dithered over that big patch of scree on the right. Ditto with the clouds at the top of the ridge on the right. Both were elements I felt were needed to convey the surroundings, but now I see them as extraneous details that don’t impart necessary information. Neither does the blankness of the upper cloud deck. So a further crop will figure into however I get this printed.