Hot Flow

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The latest (2023) in a chain of eruptions in Iceland, immediately when the eruption began I knew I had to order a ticket and try to witness this wonder that was a dream of mine for a long time.

Arriving the eruption site was a bit exhausting due to the long walk and fumes, but I managed to witness this natural disaster (although for us photographer sometimes consider it a wonder there are people living near by that have their lives interrupted by this) with all its power.

The line of ‘clouds’ seen next to the hills is a moss that caught on fire that generated a lot of smoke later that moss fire became more significant and required the teams on site to aggressively try to put it out.

Technical Details

Shot using the Mavic mini 3 pro

5 Likes

Amazing phenomenon. The burning lava looks like a red etching. This is probably a prize winning image. Well done.

This is a very impressive image Idan and I like it a lot! I love the “hot and cold” thing you have going on here with the cool clouds and the hot lava. It makes for an interesting and dynamic image.

Hi Idan,
wow, that looks fantastic. I’m happy for you that you managed to get there on time.
I know a few people who were recently there for a few days. But the access to the volcanic eruption was unfortunately closed.

Is your drone still intact? Or did it suffer a little when flying over the glowing lava.

Thank you so much for your kind words.

Thank you,
Yes I managed to get relatively close while paying to attention to the instructions from the local SAR teams.
Sadly 2 days after my visit the site was closed and I wasn’t able to get a second visit before I had to return home.

Hey Idan,

What an incredible thing to have experienced! I think in general its a very cool image and the processing is quite nice.

I want to pass critique on the composition. I appreciate this was shot with a drone so you are getting quite a wide view. The subject matter is amazing, but for me its all located on one side of the image and making the composition feel unbalanced. The flow of the lava takes you from centre right and then leads you through the scene towards the mountains on he right. These mountains in themselves form a great shape that leads you through the rest of the image. If you combine that with the fog/smoke leading from left to right you have a very right centric image. I feel that the flow moving vertically through the scene would have offered a stronger composition and resulted in a great flow through the image.

I have cropped your image to illustrate what I mean. PS - the crop is not perfect but I just wanted to illustrate the general idea. You could probably restrain it a bit more from the left to accentuate the flow of the lava.

Hope that helps and was the type of cc you were after.

Cheers,
Eugene

1 Like

Wow!! What a mixture of drama and energy, with the smoke being an amazing addition! Congratulations on your persistence – you fulfilled your dream very well!

1 Like

Not much to criticise really, for me the inclusion of the trailing line of smoke courtesy of the scorched mosses adds hugely to both the story narrative and the structure of the image. As such I think I prefer it over the vertical crop. Its a wonderful image love to be able to witness a “belly of the Earth”, scene such as this for myself.

1 Like

Your image is stunning Idan. Glad you were able to get there to witness this amazing display of nature.

1 Like