Hurry!

Hi everyone, I’d love your thoughts on this image.
This was taken at the beach 5 minutes from my house. I looked out of my window a few nights ago and saw massive potential, so after charging out of the house still chewing my dinner I raced to the beach to find the light disappearing fast.

Composition wise it was a case of set up the tripod and start shooting into the sun, catching the water as it lapped the shore to use as foreground interest. I’d like to say I put lots of thought into the composition, but with time running out, I didn’t.

I don’t particularly dislike the composition. It is minimalist, has nice texture in the water, and gives the feeling of tranquility that I would have felt that evening if I had left the house 10 minutes earlier!

In post I have added contrast, dodged the water in the fg, enhanced the colour, enhanced the light and the usual cloning etc. Does it need more contrast? I can’t decide if it still looks a bit flat…

All feedback gratefully received.

Many thanks
Chris

Chris,

What I like the most about this image is how the textures of the foreground, midground, and the sky mimic each other. And then, the curve made by the outline of the puffy clouds on the left follows the shape of the foreground, too. I think it is a very successful image from composition perspective. Processing is tasteful and I am not particularly looking for more contrast. I think it is beautiful as presented. I would only give a suggestion to burn the bright rock on the LLC but it’s really nitpicking a very fine image. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Looks good to me as is. I also like the symertry between the wave and the clouds.

I would experiment with a slightly warmer whit balance - that’s a personal preference of course

Thanks very much guys, I appreciate your comments. I hadn’t noticed that LLC but I’ll make that adjustment.

Nathan, adjust the white balance of the whole image or just localised adjustments?

I agree with others that the symmetry above to below the horizon largely makes this image. The small bright stones on the bottom is a nice feature that I almost wish there was more of. I think that the white water is right on but you could raise it some and see how it turns out.

You must have an enviable home.

1 Like

Thanks Igor. Yes I’m very lucky to be in such a great location. 5 mind from the coast and 20 minutes from lakes and mountains.

Hi Chris,

To my taste I’d only warm the highlights so that it adds a bit of colour contrast. Here’s a rough edit of my suggestion. I’d like to see the warm light pop just a bit more.

1 Like

This worked great; the wave made for a great composition and this is really enjoyable. I don’t think I’d change the contrast, but I do like Nathan’s version.

1 Like

Gorgeous image! I wouldn’t change a thing. Must be nice living in such a beautiful area.

1 Like

Thanks Patricia. It is, I’m very lucky. We don’t have all the best shops or restaurants but who cares! :joy: