Side light sunrise

I often find my self shooting towards the sun or away from the sun during a golden hour. Recently I’ve been exploring side light compositions which offer a different mood. For me side lighting can be good for enhancing texture and for making moving waves appear to be dynamic.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Colour contrast, tonal balance etc. this image was processed with a complimentary colour scheme.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Where does your eye travel within the image? My intention with this composition is to guide the eye along the contrast breaking wave up to the highlights in the clouds and then to the exploding wave on the rocks. Feedback on how your eye interprets the scene would be useful

Any pertinent technical details:

1/3 s f11 iso 50. Circular polariser and ND filter

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Good job of controlling the viewers vision.

Aside from the big picture I like the fg rock and particularly the green algae growing on it. The edge of the rock also guides the viewer eventually to the distant explosion. But the rock eventually pulls you back to it. I really don’t have much advice to offer. You could add more color but I like this natural look.

Nathan, congratulations on waiting long enough to catch that wave splash, well done. I think your composition does an outstanding job of achieving what you wanted in terms of directing the viewer’s eye. I think some localized dodging and burning would help to even further enhance what you are trying to accomplish. I would darken the water both to the left and right of the diagonal wave. This will help make both the diagonal wave and the splashing wave stand out even more. I would dodge the seaweed and rock in the lower left corner to reveal more detail, and create a little stronger entry point into the scene. The upper right corner is a little hot, i would either burn it down, or crop a little from the right. you have a great composition and subject, and with a few finishing touches from local dodge/burn you can take this up another notch.

Nathan,

First, fabulous timing you’ve captured to get the two sets of waves crashing in sync; very cool and I love the shutter speed and water action.

Compositionally, I think you accomplished what you set out to do leading the viewer through the frame via the wave line. For me though, I think the rock and greens at the bottom are a bit too heavy/dominant. I like that they anchor the scene, but the sheer amount of space given to the rock also tells the viewer that they’re almost more important than the crashing waves - which I don’t think that’s the message. the rest of the frame is composed nicely and so perhaps even a small crop off the bottom to reduce the presence and dominance of the rock at the bottom might help. Otherwise, well done!

Lon

I think your composition and scene is a success. I like Ed’s suggestions to take it a step further. I really like the leading lines and the sense of movement in the waves.

Thanks guys for the comments. You’ve given me some ideas to expirment with.