Hydrodynamics 2 & 3

Here are a couple more in the series I’m putting together on hydrodynamics. These two have the feel of quicksilver that I find very attractive. The best part of this series was that to make these photographs meant sitting and watching the moving water for hours at a time. I can’t think of too many things I’d rather be doing.
EXIF: Both images were shot with Fuji Xt-2 and Fujinon 55-200mm. Image 1 - ISO 250, 86 mm, f/6.4, 1/4 sec. Image 2 - ISO 200, 164mm, f/11, 1/10 sec.

These are wonderful, Kerry. I hope you have ample wall space to display the series. I like both, but the bottom image is phenomenal. It’s like a fluid cover of fondant on a liquid cake. I’m heading to Montana in a couple of weeks for a fishing trip and can’t wait for the mesmerizing effects of running water to work their magic.

1 Like

I like both. The dark water and the sheen on it are my favorite things. It’s really water at a different level than is normally seen with water.

1 Like

These are both very nice, Kerry. I like the flowing lines in the top image. I find the bottom image to be particularly intriguing as the shadow areas take on kind of a black pearlescent look.

1 Like

Love these! Such strong lines and highlights. My critique would be that of the framing. Personally I would’ve tried to keep the highlights of the whitewater within the boundaries of the frame as to keep the eye on the lines and shapes.

1 Like

Kerry,

This series is turning out to be real special. I really like the glassy appearance of the water much more than the white water turbulence. I would love to see more of the glassy water. In any case your hours of just sitting a watching has paid off very well.

1 Like

Kerry, the sheen on the dark part of the water is just so beautiful. I can stare at this for a long time and not be bored at all. There is so much energy imparted by both images.

1 Like

I love this series you are putting together. The previous image you shared had a really nice green hue, and I love the variety provided by these two. I am just amazed by the contrast between the glassy reflection looking almost like obsidian or another solid, and some texture in the froth. The right set could be a great triptych, or each on its own is a work of art.

Kudos and keep 'em coming.
ML

1 Like

Thanks Gary. Boy, Montana in a couple of weeks. Will the water still be running or frozen solid?:smile: Sounds like an amazing trip. What will you be fishing for this time of year? Fly fishing I presume. Ridiculously romantic!!

Thanks Youssef. I found it hard to get just the glassy parts without zooming in so much that the image becomes too tight. I do have one that I’m working on if I can just get the colour right. But, personally, I like the tension between the ordered glassy calm and the turbulent chaos of the foam.

Thank you, Adhika. It is always gratifying to hear that someone is drawn to look at an image of mine for more than the Instagram requisite 15 seconds :grinning:

That I will, Maylynne. I’m glad to hear the tension between the calm and the turbulent work for you. that certainly was my intention, at least in part, with these. As for a triptych, that maybe something I’d like to try and maybe in black and white.

Kerry,

The first is just spectacular. Wow, you sure took great advantage of the conditions and elements. Incredible image.

The second is wonderful too, although less enamored with the frothy water at the bottom in this one. The standing wave on the right though… If I were to say, “Dino-DNA” would you get my reference? Very cool section of the image.

Lon