Through the Looking Glass

In my last post I admitted to a fascination with water this year. Whether it’s moving or still, reflecting or transparent, frozen or liquid - I’ve captured hundreds of frames.

In this one, my camera was pointing straight down to a flat quartzite boulder just a few inches below the surface of the lake, the sensor plane was parallel to the rock surface although slightly angled to the surface of the water, and the sun was at a very sharp angle from the bottom of this orientation.

The surface of the water was moving in small waves from top of frame to bottom, compressing and extending at various temporal and spatial scales so the range of images I captured varied greatly. This was one of my favorites for the variability of the wavelets through which the rock surface is captured.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D610
70-300mm @ 300mm
1/4000 sec
f8
ISO 3200

3 Likes

The tonal variations and virtual shapes you have captured are amazing and wonderful!

1 Like

Glad you like them, @Diane_Miller. Thank you!

This is a great study in texture. I like seeing water presented in this way with the hyper fast shutter speeds.

I would personally clone out a few of the really high highlights near the edge like on the upper left and try a vignette.

1 Like

Beautiful color. I like the square format with that different line of ripples running across the center.

1 Like