Reflecting moment

This is sort of a companion image to my post in the WC. Actually it’s pretty much the exact same scene, give or take a few degrees either way. This image though is a straight capture with a faster shutter speed to favor the ripples and reflection; no blurring.

A bit abstract, but wondering if abstract enough to stand on it’s own without a clear center of interest.

As always your comments, critiques and suggestions welcome!

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Color, processing, etc.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any - does this work at any level?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Nikon D7100, 16-85mm @85mm (127mm equiv), f/14, 1/500th iso400. single frame

I pulled up the two side by side and prefer this one. Both work nicely, but I like the detail and color variations in the water of this.

Lon, I gotta say that the thumbnail did not look promising but my opinion completely changed when I opened it up. This is an excellent abstract. What I find so appealing is how beautifully balanced the ripples are throughout the frame. Processing looks great - I love the colors! Can’t think of anyway to improve.

This looks real nice to me, Lon. I love the variation in the blues. I also like the detail. I prefer this one to the WC image.
-P

My initial reaction was that because of the good detail in the lower 2/3rds, why not crop it. But I like the gradation of light from bottom to top and that also makes it less of an abstraction. All those repeating diagonal shapes are very appealing. All the energy is flowing from the top left corner.

Lon, this is a fine reflection abstract. I’m really attracted to the squiggly light areas around the waves and how you caught so many separate small waves. As you well know, using a faster shutter leaves you with some parts of the image that are oof, which may be distracting. In this case, I’d suggest keeping the aspect ration, but cropping about 10% off the top to remove the brighter, oof bits up there. The subtle color shift top to bottom looks great.

Was just reviewing WC entries. I find this view more appealing, with it’s details.

Lon,
I was not sure about this one until I opened the larger version. What a world of difference! What I find so fascinating is the sense of motion the ripples impart on the scene. I look at it one time and it seems as though they are taking me from the LLC to the URC and the next time it is from the LRC to the ULC. The color gradation also works beautifully here. No suggestions from me.

I prefer this one too Lon. This is beautiful in its simplicity, and I think the color and processing are spot on.

Interesting Lon. I love images that are of nothing special. Something anyone can witness, it’s just that they never stop to look. Sometimes just really looking can be very eye opening. Like everyone else I wasn’t that impressed with the thumbnail. But the image itself is mesmerizing, just like watching the water. Nicely done.