Peaceful Reflections

A reflection abstract taken while sitting quietly by a small pond with the warm tones of early fall reflecting in the water. (7D2, 100-400 @ 400, 1/500 s, f/5.6, iso 800, tripod)

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I feel this is an exquisite study in shades. Captivating.

This is really nice. It’s amazing that such a pleasing image can come from something as simple as the surface of water.
:vulcan_salute:

Mark,
This is one of those images that needs to be viewed large to really appreciate. The shades of green are most enjoyable as are those amazing patterns on the surface of the water. I ave only a minor suggestion and that would be to clone out the few lighter toned vertical lines on the left side that appear to be under the water. I also like the inclusion of that area with the circular ripples toward the URC.

Mark, I’m enjoying the stained glass effect of these ripples, this image has a wonderful amount of texture. I also like the subtle circular ripple in the URC. As @Chris_Percival said, the range of green/ yellows shades here is exquisite.

My only suggestion for improvement would be to try to achieve a little tonal balancing between the left and right halves of the image. I would increase the luminosity of the right half of the image, and decrease he luminosity of the left half, to bring them more into balance. You may also need to tweak the contrast a bit when making these changes.

Mark,

This is a fabulous reflection abstract. The range and gradation of colors and hues are beautiful - as are the patterns. I love these.

You didn’t ask to compare, but I think you previous version in the WC is a but stronger - it’s more “pure” with nothing to really. Don’t get me wrong, love this one too, but there are just a few little things that ever so slightly detract (and only because I’m nitpicky and looking…) The the lighter vertical pieces that Ed points out comes to mind. There’s a blue highlight LRC - no biggie, but not congruent with the rest of colors and so pulls the eye. And then there’s the edge of the bright ring along the UR edge. Very minor stuff.

I meant to ask on the WC image, but will ask here. I’m curious as to your approach on focusing - where/what do you focus on? I get the wider aperture at 5.6 - shutter speed is key to getting the nice patterns to freeze. But I struggle with where to focus - and also there’s a difference between focusing on the water’s surface OR letting the AF find the bg elements like the trees that are seen thru the water’s reflection. Anyway, just curious.

Lon

Lon, the big difference between this shot and my WC post is drama. The WC post has high contrast and strong blacks throughout where this view has a mix of contrast and true blacks only in some places. That difference creates a very different viewing experience. In both cases, I’m focusing on the water surface, which spreads the reflected colors and keeps the wave detail. Under different conditions, I have focused on the reflection, but that often results in an image that’s missing it’s abstraction. The other challenge is getting a clean wave look, with just enough motion blur so it looks like uniform sharpness throughout the frame.