Ripples

Sorry I’ve been a bit absent. Was away on the central CA coast for a few days and pretty busy with work and stuff. Although it wasn’t a photo trip last week, I did manage some snaps.

I suppose like many of you, my mind is constantly thinking about capturing and creating images. Driving in to Morro Bay, CA one morning I stopped at a spot that has a great view of Morro Rock, the harbour - it’s just picturesque. My wife waited patiently while I spent 10 minutes along the shore of the bay. So, hopefully this qualifies, I’m standing ON a beach when capturing this photo.

This is one of those motion blurs, ICM as I guess it’s called. Technicals below, but I liked the results - enough to post I guess. I like the color gradient to almost white up top - but with enough ripples throughout to provide texture and context. Now the water of course isn’t white (and this is all water), but the amount of light/exposure increased the further out. So basically this becomes more overexposed as you move up in the frame. But for me, this doesn’t feel anything like an image about exposure, over under.

What do you think? This may not be for everyone.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Processing, colors, etc. as always. I did a little noise reduction in PS as well. It’s already soft from the motion blur, so taking out some noise didn’t change anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Do anything for you? I’m kinda at a point where one can only do straight landscapes so much before wanting something a little different. The conditions where right and I find it enjoyable to experiment more.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Nikon D7100, 16-85mm @58mm (small sensor) f/36 @1/20th iso 100, handheld, horizontal motion during exposure.

Lon: The motion blur is pretty subtle but it goes well with the subtle color gradient. Good vision, good image.>=))>

I like it Lon. Good abstract with the lines and colors. f/36?

I like the gradient and the textures. The lines of the ripples are very nice, and I like the smoothness and the color. I am curious about f/36, too.
-P

Thanks guys, glad you like it. f/36? well, because I’m lazy. I needed the slower shutter speed to do the motion blur - I was just to lazy to walk across the street to the car to get a filter… Any lens quality issues at that aperture would be masked by the blur anyway…

f/36 and be there!

Lon,
This works beautifully; very impressionistic. It is always a good thing to step outside of the box now and then to try something a bit different and not always be repetitive. I do like the color gradient of blue to white along with the ripples as they seem to fade and disappear into the distance.

Lon, this is a great mood shot. While it may not show any “beach”, it strongly speaks of sitting on a quiet shore watching and listening to the waves lapping gently. If you had asked me, I’d have said that means a lake shore, but what the hey… :smile: The slight blur adds well to the wave lapping sense. Now all you need to do is add some “seaside meditation music”.