I like lava

Weekly Challenge

The Interrupted Pattern
9/6/26 - 9/12/26
Critique Style: Standard

The photographer is looking for thoughtful feedback on the image as a whole, especially around the areas noted below.

Feedback Focus: Artistic + Technical

About This Image

this is a Hawaiian and for ID purposes is about 2feet in height and diameter. It commonly grows in old lava fields or lava beds. And it really stands out well with the greens over the black lava beds. This was taken late in the day so there isn’t a lot of light. Minimal processing.
Best viewed in darkened room.

After doing considerable research, I think it is a heliotrope species.

Feedback Requested

Anything that helps me as a photographer improve my skills

Technical Details

Camera: NIKON D850
Lens: 24.0-120.0 mm f/4.0
Focal length: 24mm
Shutter speed: 1/160s
Aperture: f/8
ISO: 500

David great image! I really like the color contrast and the texture of the lava. Very cool. I think you’re right about the species, I believe it’s a tree heliotrope​:grinning_face:

David,

This is wonderful, Love it! The blacks and grays of the lava are set off beautifully by the green/yellow of the plant.

Interesting, that I like how the contrast fades from softer in the foreground to more contrasty in the background.

I can’t think of anything I would change. certainly no nits. Beautifully seen, captured and processed/presented.

David, this is a fine take on this plant and it’s “surroundings”. Seeing the occasional plant growing in a big lava field is good fun and sure gets one thinking about life’s tenacity. The greens really stand out against all of the dark lava.

David: Your treatment of the blacks sets this apart for me and the overall comp is excellent. One thing that fascinates me about images like this is the position of the main subject in the frame. I’ve mentioned before our western bias toward left to right flow. If I flip this horizontally it suits ME better but for others it probably doesn’t make any difference or they’re ambivalent. In any event, this is excellent in capture, processing and presentation. >=))>

Wonderful contrast between animate and inanimate, soft and hard, light and dark. >=))>

How did I miss this wonderful image?!

I think it works very nicely and I love everything about it. One thing that really caught my attention was the illusion that the plant appears to be floating above the dark rock.

Well done, sir!
-P

Spectacular, David. The simplicity of the black and green is wonderful, and the shapes and matte black of the lava give it a really nice, otherworldly lack of scale. I initially thought the plant was maybe a few inches across, which would make the lava rock relatively fine. Knowing the size makes this even more interesting.

No suggestions. Love it as is.
ML

Congrats on the EP
Excellent one for the weekly challenge too
Huw