I’m Theo Bosboom, ask me anything!

Hi RJ,

Thanks for your comment and question!

I do recognize everything you say (which is one of the reasons I am not very active on photo forums myself) and I have had my fair share of these discussions also during jury sessions. Unfortunately, because I am seldom moved by an image because it is so sharp or because the leading lines are so perfect.

But I think there are still a lot of photographers (also in juries) who think they need that kind of guidance to judge the quality of a photo. And that’s why I sometimes feel like an outsider in the world of nature photography or in a jury. I don’t think that’s a problem, it’s rather something that I cherish.

Back to the WPY: I think I was lucky to be on the jury that year with a lot of like-minded souls and also people who are trained to look at the content and soul of an image rather than mainly the technical aspects , such as Kathy Moran of (then) NatGeo and Helen Gilks of (then) Nature Picture Library. So thankfully we’ve talked refreshingly little about the tech and craft stuff.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, it is 23.07 hrs now in my home country the Netherlands, time to get some sleep! But please feel free to keep asking questions, I’ll be very happy to answer them after I wake up again (and had a coffee). Best Theo

Hello everyone, this topic will close automatically soon, so I want to thank you for your wonderful questions and your interest in this AMA session, I really enjoyed it! If you forgot something or have further questions you can always reach out to me through the contact form on my website or by messaging me on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/theobosboom/). In my webshop (https://www.theobosboom.nl/webshop/) you will find the photo books I have produced so far, including Shaped by the sea and back to Iceland, as well as different forms of 1:1 online coaching and fine art prints. All the best, take care! Theo

This topic was automatically closed after 26 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.