I want it all!

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Gannet chicks wait patiently for the mother to return to feed them. The chick pictured here is around 12 weeks old and weighs as much as the mother but still retains the mottled feathers.
Even though this image makes me gag remembering how far down the chicks throat the mother releases the food, I love the eagerness and intensity of the feeding session.
This colony is located on the east coast of the North Island of New Zealand.

Specific Feedback

I regret not being able to get in a position to capture the mother’s eye but was concentrating on the chick.
Is the light too harsh? It was shot around 11.00am and I wasn’t able to go at a different time of day.
Any suggestions to improve the light or tone of this image?

Technical Details

Nikkor z 70-200 mm lens, F2.8
ISO 100, F9, 1/1250 sec

1 Like

Diny, there is a lot of humor in the chick’s position and size. My immdiate reaction was, “You big baby.” You did get the chick’s eye!. There is nice detail in the feathers of the adult’s back. It dosn’t look like you had any burned out highlights. My only suggestion would be to use PS subject selection to mask the birds and then work on darkening the BG. You could probably lighten the birds a little to separate them from the BG. This is a wonderful capture of the life of these magnificant birds.

Hi Diny, nice job capturing this moment and getting the eye of the chick as Barbara states. Good job on the exposure in tough lighting, nice detail in the whites and also detail in the shadows on the birds. I could see trying Barbara’s suggestions but like this as presented as well. Good behavioral capture.

Superb detail and action, Diny, and you handled the harsh light beautifully. The only thing I might do is bring up the shaded whites on the adult a bit. A fine image of this behavior.