Ibex area sunset

Shot in Death Valley last winter. I’ve got a few comps that I’m working on from this area

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Colour contrast, composition, mood and tonal contrast.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@nathankleinphotos

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
3 Likes

I like the contrasting light and shadow as well as the warm light on the scene. Having the background adds nice context to the image.

1 Like

What a beautiful photo, the colour and contrast is very good.
What I might change is cropping a bit of the bottom part of the photo, there is quite a lot going on there in the form of lines that distract a bit from the main line in the image. Not sure about it, but maybe worth a try.

1 Like

We don’t usually get to see these dunes with any background other than more dunes. This gives a different perspective that works very well. The light is perfect and the sweep of the dune make this comp a winner for sure. Nice work.

1 Like

I like your perspective Nathan and the superb light on the dunes.

1 Like

Hi Nathan. Looks great. Love the subtle controlled lighting. More to come from here?

1 Like

Nathan,

One of the great combos in nature - warm, golden light striking sand dunes… Beautiful image.

I would agree with other comments that the background works beautifully here; giving the dune context of location. And even though there’s beautiful light in the background as well, there is a clear separation with the dune and no conflict for me.

Just the right amount of shadow detail I think.

My only thought might be to crop a little off the bottom, say to eliminate the darker, perpendicular line at the bottom. I dunno, this is pretty dang good as presented from a comp perspective… so the crop suggestion is really just an alternate thought.

Processing, colors, etc., all excellent.

Lon

1 Like

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

@Greg_Stokesbury yes more to come fr Death Valley. I’ve only processed abstracts from that trip. I find that dune processing is a different skill

It definitely is! I look forward to seeing them!