I fell in love with the dunes!

As the sun was setting on the death valley dunes, the magic was palpable. You could also see the people walking along the peaks in the distance.

Any technical or artistic feedback welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5Dmiv, 170mm on the canon 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS II USM, 1/500 at f16 and ISO 100,

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

The composition and light here are great. My only suggestion would be to either burn the highlights on the lower right corner or crop that area as it draws my eye away from the scene. I also find the people on the dunes to be distracting but that’s just my personal preference.

1 Like

I LOVE the colors and the composition. So soft and so delightful. Seeing this makes me quite bummed I did not come here for a sunset but I shall return again.

Like Richard pointed out, my eyes go towards the bottom right and almost wish that dune did not curl back but I think darkening it a bit may help :slight_smile: Either way great work!

1 Like

Vikki, I love the color and light that you have here, and the inclusion of this many people makes this more than just another dunes-cape. This scene looks like it belongs on the planet Tatooine from Star Wars. I could see addressing the LRC as others have suggested, but that is a nit. It’s the warm hazy mood of this image that makes this a winner for me.

Vikki,

This is wonderful - beautifully captured! Yeah, sure it’s too bad about the people in the image, but a couple sayings come to mind: “Life gives you lemons, make lemonade,” “If you can’t beat 'em, join 'em” or “going with the flow.”

I think the people make for a great story telling element (in which one could tell different stories…) but beyond that, this is still a fabulous dune image. The hazy light helps accentuate the layers and the highlights on the ridge tops are wonderful.

I might agree about burning down the very bottom LRC - but please, don’t change the luminosity of the ridgeline, only the very bottom edge.

No other suggestions. Beautiful capture, people or not.

Lon

Great mood on this one. I think the aspect ratio works very well in this image.

1 Like

Superbly flowing lines, and I love the golden color and the perspective the people give. What Lon said about that LRC; it’s a nit, but I agree with the others that it would be an improvement.

1 Like

The quality of light and tonality here are superb! Reading the other comments, I have a slightly different viewpoint on that lower right. It looks like you either shot this as a pano, or perhaps cropped it. So… If there’s more in that lower right, I’d almost like to see more. It has a sharpness and contrast that might add some additional depth to the image.

1 Like

Updated in line with critique