Sun-kissed dunes

I finally made my first trip to Timbisha (Death Valley) the week of December 20, 2021. I had initially made plans to do so in April 2020 but then…well, you know, what happened. Viewing a bunch of images before hand did not prepare me for the deep sense of awe and emotion I had when first entering the park and seeing it in all its grandness in person. I only had three days there, and was with my family so I had to balance time for photographs and time with the family. I quickly realized that I needed to come back (multiple times!) to be able to spend the time and really get to know the landscape. But, in any event, I did my best to learn what I could while I was there.

I was in the more popular and easily accessible areas (Zabrinkskie Point and surrounding area, Mesquite Sand Dunes, Badwater Basin) and made some images of the iconic views. But I would like to share a few of the more anonymous/abstract (I hope) images I made.

I am starting with a dunes image. I hiked out to one corner hoping to avoid people and footprints as there were quite a few visitors walking around (and undoubtedly had been throughout the day). I couldn’t completely avoid them, so I used my telephoto lens to try to pick out something. Starting on the shorter end of the telephoto I starting making some images, but found myself zooming in more and more until I finally reached 300 mm for this image. It was late afternoon/golden hour by now and the sun was reflecting off one ridge and lighting some sides while other sides were in shadow. I like the contrast in light and color and that I can look at this in terms of shapes and angles and not necessarily as the subject matter itself.

Specific Feedback Requested

Although I didn’t see it in the field, once I started editing I saw that even this area had footprints. I did a fair amount of cloning to remove some, but not all, of them to try to achieve a more “pristine” look without it not looking obviously subjected to cloning. I am wondering if anyone is bothered by the somewhat rough edges in some places.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

2 Likes

Great composition Dean! I was there in December as well so appreciate the beauty of DV. I really like the lines in this photo and the contrasting colors. I agree with you, I would try and soften the edges a bit, but it’s still an excellent photo.

You captured lovely light! I’m not sure about the top dark area, and wonder about cropping it out to leave the simpler 4 layers…

I’ve come to accept that footprints there are inevitable unless you can be there before others in the early morning after a huge overnight wind to erase them.

You managed to isolate some beautiful light and layering in this scene, Dean. As far as the footprints, they really do not bother me as I would imagine it would be next to impossible to find an area without them in DV. My only suggestion; just my personal preference; would be to make this a horizontal by cropping off the darker area at the top along with some of the bottom. I hope you don’t mind, but here is a rework with what I was thinking. Not necessarily better, just a different option. Nice job on this.

2 Likes

Dean
Great shot - way to find your own spot and comp in the dunes.

I am so glad you got to DV, it is such a special place. I have a hard time capturing in 2D photographs - how I feel when I am there. I am going back in early February so will keep trying.

I like Ed’s crop - FWIW.

Thanks for sharing
Amy

Thank you, Scott, Diane, Ed, and Amy. I am liking the alternate crop for distilling the scene down to its essence.

Good light and nice scene. Put me down for Ed’s crop as well.

The remaining minor footprints do not bother me at all. The strength of the light, colors and shapes is so powerful that I don’t even notice the footprints.

I think @Ed_Lowe “Less is More” rework simplifies the image, and more directly focuses the viewers attention the wonderful light, colors and shapes. I especially like how Ed’s crop makes the line of light on the top of the bottom dune even more powerful and prominent.

Thank you, Harley and Ed. I’m convinced to do an alternate crop.

LOVE this one Dean. The light and color are so attractive. Mark me down for the crop as well.

1 Like

Fabulous image! And another vote for cropping off some of the bottom.

1 Like

This is very nice Dean.

I would try the “nice and simple” crop…

1 Like