Sand Waves

Hi All,
Another image taken earlier this month during a stormy sunrise in Death Valley. Two image focus stack @ 35mm. And yes it was quite a trudge to find this expanse of trackless sand! Appreciate any comments, suggestions.

5DSr, 16-35 f/4

2 Likes

Very nice! Nice work with the contrast on the dunes. Only thing for me, and maybe it’s just my screen, but the upper right corner seems a little dark compared to the rest of the sky.
I live so close and have never been, trying to go in a couple weeks. Thanks for the inspiration.

This is a very pleasing image although I have to agree with Andrew about lightening up that top right corner of the frame. The light on the dunes is beautiful!

Beautiful lines and light in and on the dunes Dave! Very cool dark ripples in the left fg. The colors with colder and warmer tones look great. I agree with the vignette in the upper left being a bit dark and abrupt maybe, it might work to just let the light continue a bit more?
The small bush on the left, even though it shines nicely in the light, is too close to the edge of the frame in my opinion. I see fixing it is a bit more work than just cloning it out, because there are some shadows there too. A crop or warp might work, if you agree at removing it at all :wink:

@andrew_hertel, @Tom_Nevesely, @Ron_Jansen, Thanks for the very helpful input. It seems so obvious now after you point out but I must have worked this image for well over an hour on multiple days. I went ahead and dodged the dark upper right. This is in the raw so some natural light differential but I agree that it does not look good. I had a bit of cropped image to the left so I’ve given the little bush a bit more breathing room. Thanks again.

2 Likes

Another nice sky in the dunes. I prefer the sky in the repost, the dunes in the top one. No other suggestions from here.

Really like that golden light on the dunes Dave. Could also see it at as “dunescape” photo without sky or background ridges.

Dave,

Yet another beautiful dune image. I especially love the dunes, their light, color and there is great depth here as well; your pov is excellent.

for me, the sky really isn’t doing much for me - regardless of that corner area. I’m just not sure what could improve on that - either cropping, or I’m not sure. Maybe just cropping out the upper brighter clouds and just let the dunes speak for themselves and let the bg ranges define the top.

Love those dunes!

Lon

The light and colors here make for a great image, and you have already got some good comments for subtle tweaks. I’m with @Harley_Goldman on this one, I prefer the sky from the rework, but the dunes from the original. My suggestion would be to clone away the bush on the left rather than giving it breathing room, it’s so close to the edge that it pulls your eye away from the ridge of the dunes.