Sand dunes in Death Valley

Any kind of critique is welcome.
@niknagane

2 Likes

As someone who is working on a deep batch of sand dune shots right now from the same location, I think the balance and colors here in fantastic. The mix of everything from yellows to gold to deep orange in the sun to a rich navy blue is quite nice. As my eye scans the image, the only little blip that catches my eye that doesn’t seem ‘part of the whole’ is that tiny little shadow top left.

1 Like

Thank you, Jon! I do agree, the shadow on top-left corner is very distracting. I will clone it out or crop it out. Your comment is much appreciated!

Beautiful. The textures, colour and the flow of the curving lines are gorgeous. And, of course, the contrast is very dynamic. My only nit would be with the very brightest circle of yellow/orange . I find it just a bit jarring in its intensity. I wonder how it would feel if the yellow was toned down just a bit and little bit more was made of the variation in colour tone that is already there but downplayed. I’m not sure if my suggestions would help or hinder what is really a marvellous study in light, shadow and colour.

1 Like

Wow, this is very sensuous. I like your treatment of the subject. Everyone tends to highlight the contrasts and texture in dunes. I would go the opposite here and use the declarify to make it even more dreamy. It’s pretty dreamy as is, a Lawrence of Arabia dreaminess. You can almost hear that wonderful musical score here.

Hi @niknagane, great shot. I love the dunes lines. I also like the post process, cold darks and warm lights work well in my opinion. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thank you Kerry! I will try your suggestion. My idea was to keep the area brighter than surrounding areas to bring attention towards it, but I agree I can reduce the brightness a tad bit.

Thanks Igor! I really liked your analogy to the movie. It is an interesting idea to increase the softness of the image and reduce overall texture detail in the dunes. It is worth trying out.

Thank you Massimo! Iam glad you liked the post-processing. My aim was to increase color contrast along with the light contrast in the image.

Wow Nikhal this is simply stunning. The light is obviously gorgeous, but your processing has squeezed every last drop of out of the light in this scene. This is very well done. I like the composition, especially the way you used the shadow in the LLC, it does a great job of anchoring the image.

This is a wonderful image, and I’m a bit hesitant to offer suggestions for tweaks, but here goes. I would suggest cloning away the darker patch in the extreme URC, and replace it with pure golden sand similar to what is below it. This patch pulls my eye just a tad.

My other comment is much more a matter of subjective personal taste, and other may not agree with me. I think the blue/purple shadows are slightly too saturated. I know you went for creative effect here, but I think toning down the blue saturation actually enhances the golds. Here is a rework reflecting my comments.

Thank you Ed! I couldn’t have asked for more! I am in awe of all the help I have received in this post. I think I have come out with a much better image at the end of it. I agree with the saturated shadows. I might also tone down the brightest part of the image a little. With the distraction from the URC removed, I think there is a much better flow to the image. Thank you once again!

1 Like

You are welcome Nikhil. The changes suggested were subtle, but elevate a great image to an outstanding one.

These colors, textures, and curves are all so beautiful. I can’t add much to all that’s been said. I’ve only done a couple of sand dunes images and love them. This is inspiring!