Sand dunes, Death Valley

Does the image feel balanced? Are the darks too strong?
@niknagane

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi @niknagane, a great abstract shot. I love the contrast and the composition feels balanced in my opinion. Thank you for sharing.

Hi Nikhil, the image design is superb. I find the fanning of the ripples super attractive.

On the contrary, in my view, the dark is not strong enough. If it were mine, I would go even darker. The gradation from tons of details on the right to almost pure black on the left would give the image the right dynamic in my opinion.

Great to see how this alomst diagonally inverts! Nice delicate details on the right and the perfect light to show them, as well as the ripples in general. I like this as presented.

Nikhil,

I really like the concept here, and that kind of yin-yang presentation with the contrasts, light and dark.

Hard to put my finger on why the dark area isn’t working as well as maybe it could be. I really like the light/dark on the right half, the patterns of the ripples, and especially the texture and detail. I think that’s what might be missing in the dark left portion. There is a little distinction with the patterns, but other than a change in tone from dark gray to almost black, there’s no texture and therefore doesn’t add to or support the right side. I don’t know if I’m making any sense… And unfortunately I’m not the best at b&w and don’t know what to suggest. I’m afraid I haven’t been very helpful.

Maybe, even cropping about half of the dark area on the left might be an option. I sure would like to see the best as I think what you’ve seen here has great potential.

Lon

I think this looks great as is, and feels nice and balanced between the darks and the lights. Lovely scene!