Hallowed Ground

New to this site, so learning how to navigate the website :slight_smile:

What technical feedback would you like if any?All technical feedback welcomed.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?All artistic feedback welcomed.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: The light hitting these dunes in Death Valley caught my eye. I decided to bring them out by darkening the shadows as well as the background.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Nikon D850, 135mm, 1/250, f8, ISO 100

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

fritzrumpf

2 Likes

Fritz, welcome to the site! Very nice image. Graphic and very striking. I like the high contrast touch to the processing. Very evocative. Thank you for sharing. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Hello @J_Fritz_Rumpf,

There are a few things that I really like about this image! The composition feels really balanced, I love the two smaller peaks that poke up on the left and right sides, the brightness on those feels “right” if that means anything. I also love that I can just make out some detail int he background. If it were my image I would try to do two things. First, I would tame the brightness a bit on the main peak. Second I would try to create some separation between the front peak and the back one. Not much, but just something to keep them from merging together. I took a quick crack at some of the edits to give you an idea of what I was thinking, granted, it did flatten that back peak a bit but I think it could be recovered with some effort.

Thank you Dave! Really appreciate the feedback, and like the suggestions.

1 Like

Thank you, Adam! Looking forward to seeing everybody’s work, and getting a hang of the site :slight_smile:

Expertly managed light/shadow. Beautiful image. I might try to distinguish the luminance values in the two most prominent hillsides in the center as the line between them merges somewhat and makes them a bit less distinct. In fact, it looks like the foreground hill is ever so slightly brighter than the highest hill, but not quite separate enough to distinguish them at first glance. Yet, as I say this, I wonder if perhaps that was your intent?

There’s no doubting the excellent luminance management here and beauty of the composition with otherwise excellent separation of elements.

This is an amazing image. I wouldn’t change a thing. Welcome!

First off welcome to NPN J Fritz. This is a wonderful first image dripping with mood. This has an air of mystery to it with the play of light and shadow on the dunes. This has some wonderful layering complimented with perfect placement of the elements. The triangles formed with the different dunes adds some visual tension to the scene. Beautifully done!

Thank you, Jim. New to this site, and I can tell i will learn a lot here. I will play with the image tomorrow, and repost (if that is possible?). Again, thank you for your input!

Thank you, Igor. Glad I finally made the time to join this group!

Thank you, Ed. Looking forward to spending more time on this site. With what little I have seen so far, there is a lot of talent and knowledge on this site!

Welcome to NPN @J_Fritz_Rumpf, this is an excellent first post. The graphic shapes and dynamic light make for a very dramatic image in B&W. The composition is very well thought out. Sometimes these Death Valley dune images suffer from un-interesting foregrounds, but that is definitely not the case here. I love the zig-zags of the dunes, and how you darkened the foreground. I had the same thoughts on luminosity as those expressed by @David_Wallace, and I like what he did wih his rework. The change is subtle, but very helpful.

Just a protocol suggestion. Many of us prefer to bundle replies to multiple commenters in one or two posts, rather than responding to each person individually. You can also type “@” and get a popup list of who commented, and you can use those tags in your response to flag replies to people. I look forward to seeing more of your work here at NPN, and hope that you join in the discussion on the images posted by other folks.

Fritz, welcome aboard. This is a really excellent post, a great take of dunes. The processing looks on the money to my eye, so no suggestions here. I am looking forward to seeing more of your work and reading your insights on the work of others.

A really great image! The composition including the dune contours and the dark and light areas is just perfect.

Wow! First off, Welcome to NPN. If you are after constructive and helpful feedback you’ve landed at the right spot.
Most everything has already been said but I need to reiterate how powerful this image is. Great use of light and shadow, and the composition you came up with is so balanced. I too like how you can just barely make out some definition of the mountains in the background. Just adds a touch of mystery. I do slightly prefer the redo from @David_Wallace. Very subtle but well done. Once again, welcome to NPN and a great first image. Can’t wait to see more of your work!

1 Like

Welcome to NPN Fritzrumpf! Great to have you here.

What a grand entrance! The graphic nature of this and the extreme contrast quickly brings to mind some of the masters… “Moonrise over Hernandez…” comes to mind… with that black “sky”. Speaking of which, I don’t believe that is sky up top, but distant mountains or more dunes… I see a slight hint of texture above the main dune. This is purely personal at this point, but I wonder if bring out an ever-so-slight amount of additional texture… if that would add to the mystery? But for sure, there is a great deal of mystery as presented. The same could be said for additional detail in the forward dune - and again the same could be said, this is masterful as presented.

Looking forward to your work and contributions!

Lon

ps.

Fritz, the recommended way is to simply edit your original post and insert a new (reworked) image using the same process you did originally. You can chose to put your rework at the top or end of your original post, just make sure you indicate via text which images are with. By updating your original post, it let’s the viewer easily flip back and forth to compare reworks.

Thank you all for taking the time and commenting on this post. Really value the feedback! I reworked the image just a bit; still on the fence. I like the more visible texture both in the foreground as well as the background, as well as the slight definition between the two main dunes, but not sure if it dilutes some of the mystery? Again, thank you all for welcoming me to the group and all the comments!

2 Likes