Death Valley intimate

While waiting for a vivid sunset at Mesquite dunes I noticed a pattern that caught my attention so out came the telephoto.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I’m considering cloning out the faint wind blown tracks on the upper right. Do you find these distracting.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
1/400sec, f/14, ISO800, 400mm

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@nathankleinphotos

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
3 Likes

Very nice lines and curves here. The detail also holds up very nicely. The tracks are mildly distracting, but not really calling out to be removed. Processing gives this a nice look.
-p

I love the lines and patterns created by the wind, I am not too bothered by the tracks on the UR. I think I am more bothered by the shaded dunes on the UL corner. I am wondering if lightening it up a little would help to equalize that with the rest of the scene.

Great lines and textures throughout the scene. Really like the warm light. I don’t feel the faint tracks really deter from the feel of the image. I do agree with @Adhika_Lie that lightening up the upper left corner may balance the shot. You may consider a touch of noise reduction, but nothing that would effect the sharpness of the image. Nicely done!

I’ll echo Chris and say that they faint tracks do not distract at all. In fact, they are one of those “surprise elements” that reveal themselves while enjoying the image. I’m of two minds on the upper left corner. Actually, maybe three: 1) Keep it as is because it adds another tone and a sense of depth, 2) lighten it to get some detail out of the shadows, or 3) crop the image down to just below that to reveal a more abstract image. It’s win win win, as far as I can tell.
ML

This turned out really well, Nathan. I like the earthtones of the dunes along with the lighting and the textures with the ripples are outstanding IMO. I actually like the ULC as it adds another layer and depth to the scene. When opening the large version I can see some detail in that area so that looks OK to me. The tracks in the URC are not a big deal to me although I would be curious to see this without them. Beautiful image!

I like all of the contours in this image. The interplay of light and shadow really brings out all of the texture in the sand.

I have to admit that my first reaction upon seeing this image a few days ago was that the shadow area in the upper left hand corner pulled my eye. It isn’t so much because of the lack of detail (because there is detail) - for me it comes down to the fact that there it just feels out of balance compared to the other tones in the image. I would recommend either lightening it a bit or cropping it out and see if you like the result.

This is sexy, Nathan! I love those undulating and yes, sensuous, lines. Great patterns and textures too. IMHO, I wouldn’t touch the ULC, I love it as it is. Love the entire image for that matter.

thanks @Preston_Birdwell, @Adhika_Lie, @ChrisNoronhaPhoto, @Marylynne_Diggs, @Ed_Lowe, @Brian_Schrayer, @Bill_Chambers I like it when I post an image and some like and some dislike a part of the image. It makes for a great conversation. The dark portion at the upper left was enhanced to be darker with a curves layer. My thinking was that it would create depth but I also recognise that it creates a strong contrast between the layers and therefore it can draw the eye.

I’ll post a revision that is somewhere between the raw and my current image.

Beautiful lines, textures, light and shadow. Love looking at this! Great as it is and maybe the dark shadow in the upper left being a bit brighter would work as well. Nice work Nathan.

Here’s an alternative take with the upper left corner brightened and processed with less colour.

I realized when I went back to the file that most of the contrast was achieved with colour fill layers and that a magenta colour fill in soft light blend mode was perhaps blended too much in the ULC.

I very much like how the tones in the ULC now blend with the warm dunes in your alternative version. Well done.

1 Like