Ice Pillars

I photographed this small waterfall last winter in Franconia Notch New Hampshire. It was taken after a thaw/freeze cycle, and the waterfalls in the area of The Basin had the most interesting ice formations. In this case I chose to minimize the waterfall and emphasize the ice formations instead.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any critique or comments are welcome.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Hi Ed -

The ice formations here are really neat. I especially like the pillars in the middle, along with the flow of the river below. One thing about the composition catches my eye. The top feels like it is cut in half, with one side quite bright and once side quite dark. I think this interrupts the flow to the rest of the scene, especially since the line in the middle feels so stark. You could consider brightening the right top to even out the tone or could consider cropping off part of the top to focus on the really neat pillars in the middle.

When I process my own winter photos, I sometimes cool off the white balance to add a feeling of cold. I know this white balance is likely true to the scene but you could also consider some cooler toning as a creative choice.

1 Like

Sarah, thank you for your helpful comments, I agree with all of your points. Here is a repost with a crop, a dodging of the upper right, and a cooler WB. I originally adjusted the WB in post by clicking the Lightroom eyedropper on the snow, but I like your idea to go for more of a cool feeling.

1 Like

Cooling it (white balance) and a little vignette seems to highlight the ice more. See what you think.Ice%20Piilars%20w%20cooling%20vignette

Hi Ed - I think that your changes improve the result overall, especially with the top portion of the frame. Thanks for sharing the revision. :slight_smile:

Real nice intimate scene, Ed. The repost is a significant improvement IMO, giving the ice a “cleaner” look…

I think the couple of small changes in your repost nailed it, Ed. I like the way the curvature in the ice mimics the flow of the water. I always find the varied shapes that ice can take very interesting and this one is no exception. Good eye to spot this.

Ed,

Neat intimate scene. Great job taking in to account the feedback. As a result, I think your repost is excellent; great job with the white balance and taking care of the top. I had those same concerns, especially with the UR.

I also like the balance between the ice and the flow of the water below (after the crop of course.)

Well done!

Lon

@Lon_Overacker, @Ed_Lowe, @Dave_Dillemuth, @Rick_Alway, @Sarah_Marino Thank you all for taking the time to comment on my image, it’s appreciated.