Ice in the Valley

Yesterday I decided to make a short trip to a state park that is only about 15 miles from my home. With all the cold (as low as 41 below zero) and all the snow I thought hiking down through a valley with a waterfall and creek flowing through it might be interesting. I was amazed at all the ice and especially the blue tones in it that made me think of glacier ice. It was beautiful in that valley and I had an awesome time hiking through it and making a couple of pictures.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any thoughts on this are certainly welcome.

Any pertinent technical details: Canon 5D4, 45mm, ISO 100, F/8, 1/40 sec. with cpl. tripod

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Beautiful composition. I like everything about it; especially the reflections and that the snow is white and the ice is blue which for me is quite difficult. Excellent.

Thank you, Jim! I really appreciate that. Cheers, Nick

Beautiful Nick! No suggestions here, just a great winter image.

Cool shot and area. Any chance of a warm light to hit this spot or the bank of trees? I’m trying to picture this image with that included but either way super calming scene!

Beautiful. Very well done. No suggestions.

A very nice, simple, elegant composition.

Nick, the steely blue in the ice make this image for me. The curving stream and the deep snow look great, but that wall of ice is special.

Awesome, Nick. Great composition and the blue tones are beautiful. I might look to raise the luminosity of the reflections just a touch but otherwise this is great.

Thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions. Much appreciated and well taken.

Sean, Thanks! I think if I had been there just a bit earlier that might have happened. We are getting yet another big snow storm today but I plan on going back in a couple of days and see how it looks then. I’ll probably go a little earlier than I did for this picture. Nick

1 Like

Nick,

Excellent, well balanced composition. I think you’ve also handled the contrasts, colors, etc. perfectly. I wanna say this reminds me of what Velvia used to capture (and after some color balance processing after scanning…)

Not sure how best to describe what I’m seeing, but the comp has a sense of a “spiral.” It starts with the water in how it curls around leading to the nodal point - I guess, so to speak… But also where the snow/trees and the ice fall, also come to that nodal point. As if everything is revolving around that center point. and I say well balanced because each of those 3 elements have something to say about the overall comp.

I’m probably reading WAY to much in to this. Beautiful and beautifully captured is all that needs to be said.

Lon

Lon, I really appreciate your kind words! Interesting and very thoughtful so thank you! You know I did shoot a lot of Velvia back in my film days! Cheers, Nick

Nick, this is an outstanding image, I love the aqua and blues in the ice and snow. The reflected light on the water in the center of the image adds a nice touch as well. I agree with Lon about the spiral effect in this composition. This is a good example of using the “Golden Spiral” in your compositions.
I went into PS and brought up a Golden Spiral Overlay from the crop overlay for illustrative purposes.

Ed, That is really interesting and thanks for showing this. I remember talking about the Golden Spiral in art class many years ago from a very talented High School Art Teacher. Much appreciated!

Nick, I wish there was a way to show the PS crop overlay of the spiral in a more prominent color, but I could not figure out any way to change its color. But you get the point.

Thanks Ed! I think it shows good enough to get the idea. Have a great weekend!