Ice and Snow

I hate to piggyback off my brother Mike again, but here I am. I thought I would post one more winter scene before the buds of springtime started to emerge in the next couple of weeks. This turned out to be my only keeper from our last day trip to Blackwater Falls SP in WV. There was obviously no color so I shot this with the intention of converting it to B&W.

As always thanks for taking a moment to leave a thought.

Specific Feedback Requested

All C&C welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D800, Nikon 80-200 @ 105mm, f 18 @ 0,3 sec, ISO 100, cable release & tripod

2 Likes

Too funny - I just posted an ice shot a few minutes ago.

I like the vertical treatment here although it seems a trifle muddy - maybe lift the midtones? With ice I like a longer shutter speed than this, but it works ok. The longer icicles are well isolated and stand out nicely. The dark wedge in the upper left is striking.There’s some converging with one of the icicles that I wonder if you could have eliminated by shifting, but it’s hard in the field to see this and sometimes even harder to do anything about it. Overall a striking image, but like you, I’m happy to see the back of ice. I’m ready for spring ephemerals!

The composition looks pretty good to me. The shapes are well arranged within the frame. The icicles have sparkle and the water is well represented. For some reason the snow on the left and middle left lacks the texture of the snow on top. That’s being pretty nitpicky though. This is very nice. I like how the water is dark near the snow and therefore provides good tonal separation between the two.

This looks very good to me Ed. The composition is very well done, I love all the diagonal lines that you have, especially the wedge of dark shadow in the ULC. I also like how that diagonal wedge of shadow and the diagonals in the rocks create sort of an X -shape when combined with the stream. This pattern draws the eye to the center, and it works very well. Processing looks right on the money to me, as @Igor_Doncov mentioned that dark shadow really makes the snow and icicles pop. Great work on this one Ed :+1:

You have me jealous on the start of spring, I am a good 6 to 7 weeks away from that up here. Happy hunting for spring scenes in your neck of the woods.

I love snow and ice. I love the icicles hanging down and the snow dusted on top of the rocks. It’s really beautiful in black and white!