Winter in Black & White

This is a picture I made this past February not far from my Wisconsin home. We had heavy snow falling on this morning and the visibility had really dropped. That is what made this scene work for me without seeing any background. Normally I would drive past this and not even take a second look, but on this morning the picture was there just waiting for someone to come by…and I did. This was so close to b&w as it was so I just went ahead and converted it.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any thoughts welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D4, Tamron 35-150 @40mm, F/8, I/800 sec. ISO 400

5 Likes

Awesome find, Nick. This is sensational. I like the fence as a leading line, and I like that the grasses in the foreground form a semi-circle that holds up the rest of the scene. I can see snow in the background too, so nice job with the shutter speed. This would make a great holiday card.

I’m not sure, but I think I see sensor dust or oil on the sensor on the right side of the image. It could also be snowflakes…but they’re pretty prevalent in the sky and a few on the snow, where they look like shadows. Could be snowflakes.

Any way, awesome image.

1 Like

David, Thanks so much and so glad you enjoy the picture. It was a great morning to be out and I always enjoy a snowstorm. What you see on the right is just snowflakes as you thought they might be. They are just close to the lens but I understand why you thought they could be sensor dust.

Beautiful snowscape, Nick! I think winter scenes are my favorite. Partially because I love black and white and just like you said a winter photo almost is black and white anyway! Great composition and it was definitely worth the stop!

1 Like

Vanessa, Thanks much! Winter images are a favorite for me as well. I sure would miss the fall and winter seasons here if I was someplace else.

1 Like

I love your high key approach and this is a wonderful composition. The diagonal of the trees and fence gives a sense of dynamism that juxtaposes nicely with the sense of stillness and calm that is the day. Minor nit: while I understand that the spots in the right and upper right of the frame aren’t, in fact “spots” but falling snow, to me they read as spots and distract from an otherwise exquisite composition. I would be tempted to eliminate them.

1 Like

There’s a lot of negative space in this image and what make it work so well is that it’s not monotoned white but has some range. The tree is marvelous and is of central interest. The receding line of the fence and even the fg sticks make the composition strong. Try as I might, I can’t see the white specks. I must be getting old.

This is a wonderful winter scene Nick. I love the sense of solitude and peacefulness it evokes.

Kerry, Igor and Eva, Thanks so much for your thoughts on this and I’m pleased you enjoyed it. I think knowing the spots on the right were closeup snowflakes they didn’t bother me, but now I can see they can look like sensor dust or something on the lens so I’ll try and eliminate them. Thanks to all of you! Nick

Eva, I love the solitude of days like this! Thanks.

Sweet looking winter scene and a great call for B&W, Nick. That main tree is simply fantastic and the diagonal placement of the fence and treeline is perfect. The snowfall has done a wonderful job of obscuring the BG and simplifying the image down to just the elements you need. I particularly like the way the treeline gradually disappears as it recedes into the BG. This is being super picky, but I could see cloning out that one section of grasses touching the frame in the LLC. I am enjoying the peaceful solitude you captured here.

Ed, Thanks much for your thoughts on this and so glad you liked it. For me it was a wonderful morning to be out trying to get a picture and I ended up being happy to get this one. Thanks, Nick

Very lovely photo. I like it very much. For a contrary opinion, I think the grasses in the LLC help balance the composition.

1 Like

Tony, Thank you and I’m glad you like this! The grasses in that corner were important to me for that very reason. Thanks, Nick

I love the semi-abstract qualities of this image. I think it’s the lack of a background that takes this into the realm of an abstract image. Very simple, and very powerful.

1 Like

Hi Ed, Thanks much for your thoughts on this. Yes, the lack of a background is what really made this work for me.

I love this image. Speaks to me at so many levels.

1 Like

This is beautiful,
nice and simple (without being simplistic) .

1 Like

Megg and Joao, Thanks so much to you both. So glad you enjoyed the image. Nick