Winter Birch

I made this image in Governor Dodge State Park which is only about 20 minutes from my Wisconsin home. It was a cold and very quiet morning and this scene said exactly that to me. The original view had a lot of blue in it which I liked but overall I felt I liked it best in black and white.

Specific Feedback Requested

All thoughts welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D4, 24-105L lens @ 58mm, ISO 250, F/9 at 1/500 sec.

3 Likes

Another gem. I like how you used two planes of fields against one another. The dominant foreground one and the supportive row of smaller ones in the back. It’s a different type of composition that may be worth looking into. The rule is that the fg leads into the background. But not here. It works really we’ll. The brooding sky helps as well. Some might say to brighten the snow on the fg trees but the statement is more powerful this way. The only issue I see is that the leftmost small tree is darker in front of the clouds and lighter below, in front of the sunlight. Looks like it was caused by burning in the cloud. Actually I don’t know if that’s my imagination.

B&W works quite well here, Nick. I like your composition as well. As Igor said, another gem!

Igor and David, Thanks much for your thoughts on this.
Igor, I had not noticed that but I will take a better look now. Thank you!
I’ll be heading north tomorrow so gone for a few days looking for fall color and whatever.

Another great winter scene, you have just the perfect amount of snow on the trees. I also love the way the way the primary tree is leaning to the left, it adds a dynamic element to the image.

I like the way you used the background trees here. My only nitpick is that there is more of merger of the foreground and background trees in the left half than in the right. On the right that little patch of sky above the background trees creates some nice separation that makes the foregrounf tree more prominent. To get a bit more separation in the left half, I tried dodging the lighter tones in the foreground tree using a TK Lights 2 luminosity mask. I think it makes for a subtle increase is visual separation in the left half.

1 Like

Ed, Thank you and I appreciate what you did. From what I can see here it is a small difference but yet it makes a difference. I like that!

You could try taking it slightly further, but in doing reworks I like to stay close to the makers original vision if possible. I think the key here is that the lights luminosity masks lets you keep the clouds dark while bringing the big tree slightly forward. with a dodging of just the lighter tones.

1 Like