Winter Sunrise

This is a picture I made last December on the Wisconsin River. This area is only about a mile from my home and I often head to areas along the river for sunrise. I was enjoying my pre -sunrise hike along the riverbanks when I found this spot and decided to set up and see what happen. It was not a real colorful sunrise but I sure enjoyed the way this looked in that wonderful early morning light. It was also very quiet and peaceful.

Specific Feedback Requested

All thoughts welcome. Hopefully this composition works.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
5D4, Tamron 35-150 @35mm, ISO 400, F/11

4 Likes

Another superb image. The stark branches on the bleak sky are so expressive. But what really makes this image special is that patch of sunlight on the snow on the foreground. It really is the main point of focus in this image. As you probably know I am of Russian descent. This is the type of image that Russians absolutely love. The shadows are really well handled as is the luminosity of the grass. I really have no suggestions. The left side seems to be your weakest part but if you crop any of the left the comp starts to fall apart. I guess you had the sun directly behind the tree.

Wow, you really have to see this in large size to fully appreciate it. Igor said all that I might say, and more. Awesome image, Nick.

You have capture some gorgeous light Nick from the back lit grasses and low lying mist to the patch of light on the foreground snow. The pastel colors in the sky add to the serenity of the overall scene.

Igor, David and Eva, Many thanks for your kind words and I’m so pleased you liked this. I love winter photography and that special winter light and I too really enjoyed this image. It was a wonderful winter morning to be on the river. Thanks, Nick

Nick, another great winter shot. I like the way the dappled light is hitting the snow and grass in the middle of the image. It just tells such a nice story about winter, and conveys a sense of place. I agree with @Igor_Doncov about the left side of the image not being as strong as the rest, for two reasons. First it feels a bit cramped, if there were no major distractions lurking, I think I would have preferred to see a bit more breathing room on the left. But as presented, its the darkness of the ULC that overly draws my attention. Maybe try dodging that area a bit and it wouldn’t feel so heavy.

Calm and peace is the atmosphere that you kept and sent. I love the feeling I receive looking at your image.
Nick I am still studying for landscape photographer, when I will be more expert in this category I will write longer and better comment. Be patient.

Nick,
Even though this looks cold I still find it very inviting with the warm early morning light. I too wish there was a bit more on the left, but it is certainly not a deal breaker. The larger version does a beautiful job of showing off some wonderful details and I particularly like the snow clinging to the trees. Nicely done!

Ed M, Giuseppe and Ed L, Thanks guys for your thoughtful comments and suggestions!
Ed and Ed, I could have shot wider to get more room on the left but there was just to much clutter to include any more so as it often is it’s a compromise. I can see dodging the dark trees on the left some to brighten up the shadows a little. Thanks for that suggestion!
Giuseppe, Your comment is just fine and I enjoyed reading it. Thank you!

This is just lovely. I agree with igor that the patch of light on the snow in the foreground makes the photo. And I like that you put the sun behind the tree so you don’t have bright sun star, just the warm, golden light.

1 Like

Hi Bonnie, Thank you! Yes, I thought putting the sun behind the tree worked out best in this case.