Winter Sunrise

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

This is a picture I made about two weeks ago at sunrise. It was our first snowfall of the season and was really beautiful to see. It was such a wonderful morning to be out shooting and I sure enjoyed this first snow. I made the picture at Smith Lake just a couple of miles from my house.
Any thoughts welcome.
Canon 5DMK4, 24-105L @ 105mm, ISO 100, F/11, 1/15 sec. no filters.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Pretty scene and it looks cold. A fine entree into winter.

Looks cold. We’re basking in 70 degree weather here in Northern CA. Nice detail and color. You might consider a very slight CCW rotation. Nicely done, Nick.
-P

Nick, if you got this 2 weeks ago, then you must be in for a rough winter :grinning:

I love the Fire and Ice aspect to this image, the cool/warm contrast makes for a very compelling combination. I think your processing of the whites in the snow looks good, slightly cool and very natural looking. I agree with @Preston_Birdwell about the CCW rotation, although it may be an optical illusion, the right side looks tilted, but the left does not.

I might also suggest trying to feather the luminosity gradient a little more near the top of the trees, the transition as pressented is somewhat abrupt, and i think it could be smoothed out a little.

This is a lovely image, Nick! I like the contrast between the snow and the warm light. The reflection is wondrous!

Sweet. My only suggestion would be to agree about the rotation.
:vulcan_salute:

Harley, Preston, Ed, Brian, and Michael, Thanks so much guys for your comments and suggestion. Appreciate the help!