Windswept Dawn

Edit:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A final image. This was dawn the morning we packed up and headed home.

Specific Feedback

Any thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

Technical Details

NIKON Z 7II
NIKKOR Z 24-200 f/4-6.3 VR at 24.0 mm, slightly cropped
1/60 sec. at f/5.6 and ISO 64
There were some ski tracks in the distance that I cloned out.

Yours truly while taking the above image. My friend snapped this with his cell phone. Interesting how different the phone read the white balance.

Hi John! A cell phone is never able to pick up the true colors of a sunrise or sunset. The colors of your image are very nice. A beautiful pink sunrise. I like the comp and the textures as well.

I really like Steve’s image. Just need to clone out that pesky tree entering from the bottom. It’s a great story telling image.

We don’t get much snow where I am so take any C&C I give with a grain of salt.

Lovely light and cloud colour. I like too how the peak (?) is lit while the foreground is in shade. There’s blue but not too much I think. Not sure the foreground adds to the image so I’d suggest a more panoramic crop.

Hey @John_Williams i really enjoy this one. My initial thought was for a panorama as well but the more I sat with it the more I appreciated the foreground. The rolling hills and the wind swept snow help set the stage for the landscape (in my opinion) a panorama would work well too and put more emphasis on the park, but I’m not sure more emphasis is needed there as it is already so prominent. You could may try toning down the saturation a little bit but I would localize it to the land not the sky I think. Overall I really like it!

What’s left unsaid says so much. :slight_smile:

@Steve_Kennedy, I think you’re right. I think the phone was trying to make the snow white?? My colors are closer to reality, although I agree with the suggestion to desaturate the blue in the snow (it became more saturated as I darkened it).

@Jaded62 and @David_Wallace , I appreciate the suggestions. One trap with wide angle lenses is the way the perspective shrinks objects farther away. While 24mm isn’t extreme, the mountain definitely appears more dominant when you are there viewing it with your own eyes. Rather than crop, I’m posting an edit with the perspective adjusted a bit. (Since Tim Parkin’s guest critique I’ve been trying to photograph and edit more in line with the Natural Landscape Photography Awards’ guidelines.) Hopefully that helps with the dominance of the foreground. In addition I’ve dropped the saturation a bit, more in the foreground.

What a gorgeous scene, with incredible light! You have captured the purity of the mountain air and light. The wide angle may make the mountain feel less prominent, compared to say 50mm, but the FG provides a wonderful lead-in and the light makes the mountain stand out gorgeously. Either version works for me, but I think the edit is a thoughtful improvement. My one suggestion – make a really big print!!

1 Like

Lol. It’s not the image itself. It’s that you showed very similar images in succession and there is little else to say.

I think the edit is an improvement over the original.

1 Like

I like your edit John. Desaturating the blue in the snow brings out the pink reflection from the sky.

1 Like

Fantastic image; those colors, and that light!!!

1 Like