Sugar-Coated Sunrise

I pre-visualized this image a few winters ago but the conditions were never quite right. With some relatively fresh snow on the foreground hills, I made another attempt earlier this month. I made only a couple of images on this trip due to generally poor light. However, for a few precious minutes, the light broke though to create a spectacular sunrise. The light lasted for less than five minutes before the light became blocked again by clouds.

5DSr, Canon 70-200 f/4 IS L

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
4 Likes

It looks like you made the most of those five minutes, Dave. The color in the sky is spectacular as is the subtle warm glow on the peak and the rolling FG hills. Everything looks perfectly placed throughout the scene; well worth the wait. There is something about a fresh snowfall that is magical.

1 Like

Wow, this is really sweet, Dave. The entire secret to nature photography is to be outside enough so that you are there when that short five minutes of light occur. You were there, and you were able to take advantage of it. I love the pinkish light on the foreground snow - just gorgeous.

1 Like

Beautiful light, color and scene. The bit of glow on the foreground snow is great. No nits here.

1 Like

Flat out gorgeous Dave. I’d say though that you posted in the wrong gallery - because I have no nitpicks, suggestions or constructive criticism… :sunglasses:

Love this - wish it was mine.

Lon

1 Like

This is really, really nice! I really can’t think of anything to suggest. It’s that good.

1 Like

This is really nice, Dave! Perfectly balanced composition. No suggestions in that department.

My main suggestion would be to soften up the shadows/blacks/contrast of the trees/bushes (and possibly a couple areas in the center-right of Morrison). I feel that the contrasty darks kind of run counter to the overall softer, brighter, more pure feel of fresh snow and light like this.

The other suggestion I have would be to maybe try dodging up some of the light on the snowy areas of the mountain, and slightly darkening the sky. This might help the mountain stand out more and keep the eye from wandering too far up in the frame. Of course the sky is actually brighter in person, so this is a matter of personal preference on how far you want to take it in post.

1 Like

You got some excellent conditions and made the most of it. Very much liking the warm reflections on the snow and mountains.

1 Like

Terrific light show… not a thing wrong with the crop as shown as it highlights the pink light, but a crop off the top really highlights the mountain which is superb…

1 Like

Good heavens, what a beauty. Yea, like others have mentioned the pinkish light reflecting off the snow really adds some nice interest. I suppose you could play around with some of the suggestions mentioned, but it is well crafted as is!
Cheers

1 Like

Thanks much, Alex. Appreciate the thoughtful critique. I actually used a few tricks I learned from your instructional videos to process ; o).

@Tony_Kuyper, @Dan_Kearl, @Ken_Henke, @Tom_Nevesely, @Lon_Overacker, @Harley_Goldman, @Bill_Chambers, @Ed_Lowe

Thanks much guys, appreciate the comments/input.
Dave

Great image. Beautiful color and perfect exposure. I tried cropping a little of the right edge to move the major peak off of center, and I liked it better.

1 Like

A stunning image Dave. What a gorgeous way to render the beauty of this region. I can only imagine what a thrill it must be to view a large print of this image.

1 Like

A splendid image, I like the softness of the colors and the composition… Beautiful.

1 Like

Pretty sweet! With one frame like that, I be feeling pretty satisfied!!!