Golden Unfolding

I captured this image in the Alabama Hills last winter on the same morning as a recent image I posted “Primordial”. Winter photography in the eastern Sierra can be feast or famine with storms punctuated by cloudless days. But when the conditions are right sunrise lighting on the Sierra eastern escarpment can be special.

5DSr, Canon 70-200 f/4 IS L

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Beautiful light, Dave. Love the warm glow and mood created by the low clouds.

What a stunning shot Dave, this is one of my favorites of yours. The light and atmosphere here are simply wonderful. Your processing of the alpenglow and the sky has brought out the richness in this scene. I love the purple tones in the sky. It’s a minor nit, but I might consider a tiny crop from the top, perhaps about halfway from the top of the frame to top of the cloud in the URC. But that is truly a nit, this is gorgeous.

The light in conjunction with your composition has taken this scene to a whole different level. I love how the clouds are hiding the peaks and that makes the mountains look all the more mysterious.

Dark, mysterious and moody.

Very nicely balanced comp and light. It’s all working fine, IMO.

Dave: Jaw dr :scream: pping spectacular. Wonderful capture of a truly magic moment.>=))>

Stunning light, Dave! The atmospherics with the clouds shrouding the top of the peaks imparts a wonderful sense of mystery to the scene. This is indeed special. I could see just a bit shaved from the top, but that is being super picky and just a personal preference because this is a beauty as is.

That’s some wonderful light Dave, and the three ridges make for a great comp. On my monitor, the larger version could be a little sharper, but that’s my only nit.

You’re absolutely right, John. Somehow I missed noticing while processing but looking it it at 100% I see it lacks critical sharpness. I was moving quickly between compositions and somehow I missed focus! It’s a shame because I only took one frame…