Wisconsin River Sunrise

We have had a lot of wonderful sunrises the last couple of months and this is one I made in October. I went down on the Wisconsin River just a couple of miles from my home on this morning and it was just beautiful watching this sunrise happen while standing there in the quiet hours of the early morning.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any thoughts welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Image made with a Canon 5DMK4, 16-35 F4 L lens @ 16mm, ISO 50, F/20, 1.0 sec.

2 Likes

Oh yeah that sky. Good of you to shift yourself so early. I live on the stupid thing and I can’t manage to do it. I like the trees on the mid shoreline and the reflections are great, but the foreground feels like it’s blocking entry. The light there is nice, but it feels like a barrier. Could you have gotten higher to eliminate more of it? It’s not always possible, I know.

Beautiful, calm and tranquil, Nick. Nice amount of light dancing off the grasses. I might darken and or desaturate the light blue sky behind the trees, but very minor. Looks great.

Kristen, Thank you! It was a great morning to be on the river. I did shoot this without that foreground but actually seemed to like this one a little better. It was kind of a toss up for me on which I liked best…and still is. Thanks much!

Thanks Harley! I’ll give that a try.

Nick, I actually really like the foreground grasses. It beautifully frames this image. I love how this looks so real. It’s not too bright, it doesn’t have any weird HDR feel to it, it just looks natural to me. The colors are just beautiful but like @Harley_Goldman said, I would tone down the blues in the gap between the trees just a smidge. You could even burn down the foreground clump in the LLC that sticks up into the water as it appears just a little bit bright but this is a well executed, composed image.

Hi Nick! This is just lovely; I’ll bet it was special to be there.

At first I thought this might be too dark, but when opened large I think it works well. The dark shadows help to highlight that soft early light, and really give a feel of those early traces of light and color that signal a new day.

David and John, Thanks guys! I appreciate your thoughts on this and the suggestions. I’ll try that and so glad you like it. Cheers, Nick

Just to reiterate what others have already said - a beautiful, tranquil moment. I also love the composition and the way you’ve used the highlighted grass in the foreground (and right around forming the bay) to frame the gorgeous magenta sky as it’s reflected in the lake. I also agree that the blue is a bit distracting but I might be inclined to go a bit further and desaturate the magenta’s a bit as well. Of course, when it comes to colour, it is all a matter of personal taste.

Thanks Kerry! I appreciate getting your thoughts on this. I will work on that blue and see if I get it a bit less distracting.

This is lovely Nick. I can feel myself along the shore, just taking a deep sigh and settling in for a moment or two.
I too think that perhaps desaturating the skies a bit. I am wondering , have your tried lightening up the grasses just a touch more? They are so beautiful. The only other thing that called to me is that perhaps the right corner appears a bit dark?
Overall, lovely serene image!

Hi Laura, Thanks much for your thoughts on this and so glad you like it. I will try those suggestions and see how it looks to me. Thanks, Nick