November Sunrise

This is a picture I made last November just a little after sunrise on the Wisconsin River. I only live about a mile from the river so have spent lots of time photographing on and around it. I quite enjoy the river and the river bottoms and my main goal is to capture it’s many looks and moods.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any thoughts on this you might have are welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
5D4, Tamron 35-150 F2.8-4 @ F10, ISO 400, 1/100 sec. 150mm and no filter.

1 Like

Wow, this is really nice, Nick. You positioned yourself and camera for a perfect composition. I like the colors in the sky, balancing with the foreground. I like how the trees on either end frame the scene. Well done sir.

1 Like

Beautiful image, Nick. I agree with David, the balanced composition is perfect. And the colors are gorgeous. I have no suggestions for improvements. Great shot.

1 Like

Very nice work Nick, I love this image. At first I was saying to myself, where do they have mountains this big in Wisconsin, and then I realized that this blue thing is probably partly or mostly a cloud. This creates a a very neat look in the image. The spacing of the trees is very well handled, and the diagonal lines of the trees in the left half add a lot of interest to the image too. And I initially thought that you had included too much grass, because to me the trees and the colors above are the most interesting part of the image. But then I realized that the tree on the right sort of forces you into having this much grass. So in the end you need this much grass if you want the framing trees.

1 Like

David, Mark and Ed, Thanks guys for your thoughts on this one and I’m glad you enjoyed it.
Ed, That is a large hill in the background and probably even looks larger because of the telephoto shot at 150mm. The hills on each side of the Wisconsin River Valley in my area are pretty big here in S.W. WI. Nick

My goodness those hills look like something from the Tetons, it must be the telephoto lens compression. It looks like there might be some clouds at the top of the hill, which made me think this might be partly a cloud.

1 Like

I really like how you recognized and handled the light in this image. Not only in the background but how it passes through the grass as well. The lacy branches are of course the main attraction. I personally don’t like the tree on the left edge of the frame but perhaps with a frame around the image it would be more a part of the composition. I wouldn’t crop it out because the image proportions start to break down.

This is a really nice scene with beautiful light and colors, and a gentle mood.
I agree with @Igor_Doncov w.r.t. the tree on the left edge. But I would crop the image, and to keep the balance I would leave out the most right trees as well. Something like this.
Sorry to remove your logo as well :wink:

Igor and Han, Thank you for your comments. Igor, I do think if it was framed the trees on the outer edges might work better as you mentioned. I really did enjoy the light in this scene and hoped to make the best of it.
Han, I think your crop works quite well and I really hadn’t thought about doing that. Now that I see it I like it! Thanks. …Oh, no problem with the name.

Sorry I’m late to the party! The quality of light here is exceptional, and it has a lovely aura of calm to it. The water is so placid I figured this was a longer exposure; it surprised me to see it was 1/100. Great eye to see this and capture it so nicely.

Hi Bill, Thanks and I very much appreciate your comment. It was a wonderful morning to be along the river! Nick