Snow on rocks

Snowing along Sligo Creek, just outside of Washington, DC.

Specific Feedback Requested

Seeking any and all advice and comments. Thanks in advance.

Please view the large image!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

Canon 80D, 1/13 s, f/10, ISO 320, EF 24-105mm f/4 @ 65 mm, CPL.

Raw file processed in LRClassicCC and Topaz Denoise AI. TK resize/sharpening for web.

1 Like

I really like this image - it definitely grabbed my attention; It has as a calming, zen like feel to it. The falling snow helps me feel the scene too - thats such a subtle thing but it adds so much to the photo. I think the only additional thing I would do is clean up some of the spare leaf fragments & water foam spots in the foreground and and near the edges of the photo. Not a huge deal but I think it would help the calming minimalist feel just a bit. Great job finding and composing this scene though, it really works for me.

I like this as well. There a couple of suggestions. I like to add a frame around my images for just such images such as this. The image boundaries are bleeding into the background of NPN and that breaks down the composition. You can also flip the bg in NPN to white. In this case I felt a bit more information from the bg would be desirable so I raised the shadows. Also, the snow on some of the smaller rocks hurt the composition. These are small changes which you might try.

This image has to be seen large to be fully appreciated. Similar to your prior post, this image is more sophisticated than it might look at a first glance of the smaller version. There is a lot of attention paid to small details, and the composition is very well thought out. I love the way the boulders seem to leap out of the water and get separation. But you have maintained a good level of detail in the dark water too, so your processing is nicely balanced. Nice work on this image Ronald, well done…

Thank you @Mike_D, @Igor_Doncov and @Ed_McGuirk for you comments. Yes, a dark photo against a dark bkg gets lost. I’ll remember that next time.

The thing is that you arranged the rocks within a rectangular viewer finder to create the optimal balance and design. Once that rectangle is removed the composition breaks down. That’s how I see it.

PS. The reflection in the upper right quadrant isn’t working that well for me. Perhaps it’s because the source is unknown. Although that doesn’t really explain it fully.

I really enjoy the layers of this image. The composition shows off layers of snow, rocks, leaves, water, and those fabulous ghostly reflections from the rock wall behind the scene. I found myself wanting to burn (to heavily?) some of the white reflections (and a few of the rock surfaces) and saturate the leaves a bit.