Ice at Stephen's Falls

This is another picture I made at the same location as my last post. In this composition I wanted to try and include the actual falls and some of the ice around it. The flowing part of the falls was quite small but still interesting to me. In this shot I tried not to include the trees that I had in my last post. I mostly wanted the falls, ice and stream for my composition. Not quite sure if it feels cut off on the right or not so I guess my main thoughts are does this comp work for you.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details: Canon 5D4, 16-35 F/4 L @ 35mm, ISO 100, F/16, 0.3 sec. CPL.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

This is real nice, Nick. Great depth to the image with a lot of interesting detail front to back. Hard to say what lurks back there, but it feels just a bit tight to me in the top right side. My mind wants to see just a little more to the right. Not a big deal though.

Thanks Harley! That was pretty much what I was feeling as well. I like it but it does feel tight in the upper right to me. I didn’t want to include part of the trees in this one so I ended up with this. Think I will take a look at some of my other comps and re think it. Thanks much! Nick

Nick,

Just like your previous post, I think the colors, contrast and processing in general is masterful.

Composition wise, I do like the diagonal flow that lets the viewer explore the entire frame - which is good because as you mention the main falls that isn’t frozen, is relatively small relative to the whole frame. That’s not bad, it’s just that you either zoom in on just the falls with some close by elements, or you include the environment - as you have here.

I’m with you both that the right feels cut off or cramped. Weird to, because there’s nothing visually that says I want to see more, or that there is more to see… it’s just a sense that there should be <more.> not sure if that makes sense.

This one is great, your previous a much better capture from this place.

Lon

Lon, Thank you! I totally agree with you. I pretty much had the feelings you just mentioned and tried to comprise in this shot which didn’t work as well as I had hoped. I too like the previous much better. Thanks for your thoughts on this!

This is really nice as well, Nick. The stream provides a great leading line into the frame. Two thoughts:

1. I would play with that ice in the background and pull out a bit more blue. Compositionally I think it would help pull the eye through the frame.
  2. I would open up the shadows in dark area at the lower left corner. I find it a bit distracting.

This is a wonderful, unique and intimate look at an icy stream. It does not feel cut off on the right, since the icicles are the main focus and the foreground snow points to the ice. Just a lovely, unusual winter scene.

Nick, the more I look at this, the more I appreciate your comp. I felt that the lead in into the comp was a bit weak so I cropped a bit on the left and the bottom. I thought the fg took up too much space. It seemed as though you wanted the icicles(sp?) to be the main focus and have us continue looking to the urc. It does feel cramped up there a bit, as everyone has mentioned. I like the overall image. I think the comp is fairly sophisticated.

Nick, when I first looked at this image, my initial reaction was that I had more of an issue with the lower left corner than with the right side. The dark icicles in the LLC did nothing for me. Then I saw @Igor_Doncov proposed crop, and I think that does a great job of tightening up the composition. Starting from Igor’s re-work, I would additionally consider darkening the bright snow in the extreme URC, this would make the blue icicles pop even more.

Thanks so much to all of you for your comments and suggestions on this! Great suggestions they are too! I will redo the image according to these and be quite happy with it. Much appreciated!
Igor, I like what you did very much. I’m going that way with it! Cheers all and thanks for the help! Nick

1 Like

I like igor’s suggestion about the crop Nick. The dark spot in the LLC draws the eye in. The crop eliminates that distraction. I like the overall scene a lot.

Thanks Eva! I agree with you. I already reworked the hi-res file using the suggestions from this post including Igor’s crop. I like it a lot better now. Cheers, Nick

Did you play with a black and white? Peeking at the red channel of this image, I think it would be a nice one to play with converting.

Thanks John! I really hadn’t thought about that but it sounds interesting so I’ll give it a try. Nick

I like this a lot, Nick. I too feel like the right is tight. I think it’s that the big rock feels like a good edge, but the water levels the frame on that side, and my eyes want to follow it. Great area though, and I’m betting you have some other comps from this shoot.
ML

Hi Marylynne, Thank you! It is a neat area but it is also hard to come up with compositions I feel. I did shoot several different compositions as you though but none of them seem to be favorites to me. I always appreciate getting your thoughts and thank you. It is a place close by so I can get there often.