Ice Storm

We had an ice storm event last night and this morning in the Pacific Northwest. This is a rare occurrence; I’ve only witnessed one other ice storm in the last 25 years. These are some semi-abstract images that I shot this morning before things started to melt. While it was 18° yesterday the forecast for the next few days going to be in the mid 50s.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Image iso range from 3200 to 12,800. 100 to 400 at varying focal lengths. All around the 500th of a second and F8 to F-14, all handheld. And it was dark…

2 Likes

Hi David, Thanks for posting these, you did well for “shooting in the dark”. I like images 1,2 and 4 better than 3, because they capture the ice better. If your focus is on the ice, I think it may be worthwhile cropping more closely to highlight how the ice is impacting the ground and plant. I think this is especially important for the second picture of the green plant, there are some fascinating ice structures in the upper right. I did a quick screen shot to show you what I saw.

I enjoyed seeing these - I live in upstate NY; ice and snow are not at all uncommon here!

Thanks for posting these David. It’s fun to photograph in snow and icy conditions, especially if your area doesn’t often get a winter storm like that. These are all fine images but I think tighter crops could help push them towards abstract as James pointed out well. The second image has the most potential for abstraction.