I'm Melllltingggg

I spotted this “melting” mud covering the bedrock in Titus Canyon a couple springs ago. The road wasn’t open for vehicles, so we had a nice hike without cars. I’d always wanted to see Titus Canyon, having seen photos of the cool bedrock breccias there. I made quite a few photos of the breccias, but none really worked for me in the end. Anyway, this was one of the photos from that day that tickles my geologic fancy.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments welcome. I’m no fond of the plants at the bottom, but I just couldn’t get a good frame, with enough of the rocks & mud, without the plants.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a7, 24mm, f/8, 1/250s, ISO 400. General dodging/burning; tweaked the corners to eliminate a couple distractions.

2 Likes

What an interesting event there, Bonnie. Well done.

It’s funny. I saw the gray rocks oozing out from your brown “melting mud”. Funn y how perception works.
It’s a cool image. Lots of texture!

This is a fascinating capture Bonnie and I like your composition showing a bit of foliage in the foreground. The lighting was very nice, showing off the different texture of the rock and mud. I can almost picture the mud slowly flowing down between the rocks.

Thanks, @Mark_Muller, @David_Bostock, and @Jim_Lockhart.

Bonnie, there’s a neat, subtle sensuality in the rocks and mud. If you cropped to horizontal in the middle, the four rocks looks like teeth. While it would be fascinating to get the formation in without the growth at the bottom, it’s presence does help set the size.

1 Like