I'm So Insignificant

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like this point of view of the California redwood forest. This scene seemed so massive that it begged for a super wide angle photo that would encompass the feeling of insignificance one feels in the presence of these massive trees. I also wanted to capture the special moment that morning when the fog started to clear allowing the sun’s rays to cut through the trees.

The only thing that I think that could have been improved would possibly been the balance of the composition. I tried to center it better with a 4x5 crop but I felt that it lost too much in the trimming. I ended up liking this crop the best.

Creative direction

I just wanted to capture this moment in the most realistic way possible. I bracketed three exposures 2 stops each because I was shooting into the sunlight. I then combined them in Lightroom. I wanted to capture the brightest to the darkest areas the same way the my eyes did. I also wanted this super wide panorama of the whole scene.

Specific Feedback

I’m always open to any feedback be it of approval or critical. Feels or technical.

Technical Details

I took this photo with my D850 and a little 8mm Rokinon DX fisheye lens that I’ve had for years. I always keep it with me but rarely use it.
Nikon D850
Rokinon 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye Lens

Exp - 1/55 sec
Aperture - f/8
ISO - 64

Description

I took this photo during a workshop in the California Redwoods while my clients were taking in the fabulous light beams that surrounded us. We were there the day before but the skies were clear and the forest light was stark. The forest was still beautiful, but we wished for fog. The next morning we got up to a dense layer of fog. We got to the trailhead in fog and proceeded to photograph the amazing forest in beautiful, dreamy foggy conditions. As we predicted about mid-morning the fog started to thin toward the east and the light show started.

I took some time while everyone was busy to grab a few photos of my own.

1 Like

Every time I’m in a redwood forest I spend a lot of time with this perspective. The fog adds what it always adds - separation, mystery, atmosphere. Really nice use of an ultra wide lens, too. Have you played with trying to straighten the trunks or do you like the bendy look of them?

1 Like

Thank you. I haven’t. I have always accepted it as a part of using a fisheye. :slight_smile:

Gary, this is a great look “up into the redwoods” with its mix of crepuscular rays shown off well by the light fog. The Rhododendron leaves along the right are a good inclusion. They do have me wondering about a 90° rotation, but the more I look, the less I like that idea…

Hey Gary, good to see you back! I love the light rays and the really dramatic viewpoint with the fisheye. My immediate thought was that upper portion is not adding much to the scene, just some distracting blue sky. You said you wanted this super wide pano, and I actually think by cropping it to a pano helps achieve this massive view you wanted even better. It feels more immersive this way I think. Beautiful image either way!

My love of the Redwoods makes it tough for me to dislike anything about this image! My person taste would have been to try to include more foreground across the bottom, but I do like the way your composition points toward the sky, and I love both the burst of rays and where you’ve placed it in the image. Seems like everytime I get to visit the Redwoods, it’s either been totally clear or so fogged in that it felt like evening. Great image.

1 Like

Wow and wow! Talk about all the elements coming together and you having the “eye” to see it, and capture it all. I love the sun streaming thru the tree’s, the fog, and of course, the angle at which you chose to shoot it. It just all comes together beautifully. I was to the Redwoods a year ago, and I went at the wrong time. It was dry and dusty and not the gorgeous green that spring brings. I shall return some May. Again…gorgeous image!

1 Like