Imperfect Fall

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I had just finished flying my drone for some overhead fall images when I was packing up my gear and noticed that the morning light was just starting to hit this gnarled old tree. It’s not your typical, out west, fall image with aspens and perfectly straight tree trunks. This foreground tree has some character with more dead branches than living branches and the bark is rough and cobbled. The only color on the tree seemed to be leaves growing right out of the trunk without much in the way of branches.
Anyway, I thought this would make an interesting Fall colors image. I’d like to know if you like it or if you think it’s a little rough around the edges. I get it if that’s the case. As usual, let me know your thoughts on how you think this could be improved. Thanks for taking a look.

Specific Feedback

See above!

Technical Details

Z9, 100-400mm @160mm, F/5 for shallow depth of field, ISO 1000, 1/40th, Hand Held, Manual Exposure

2 Likes

Hi David, this is a really enjoyable image to look at. It is certainly interesting in terms of the gradient of texture and colour found in the image. I also like how you separated the trees, it creates a sense that the forest these trees are in is quite spacious and pleasant. As for improving the image, I would suggest perhaps cropping out some of the twigs in the top left as they are slightly distracting. It does also look like you have cropped the image somewhat, I feel like if this is the case, some more space at the bottom of the frame would help elevate the feeling of spaciousness that the forest projects. Great work, this is a really nice image!

Hi David,
what a wonderful autumn mood. I love the color contrast between the warm leaves and the cooler tree trunks.

I really like your crop. And there’s nothing around the edges that I find distracting.

Hi David, this has a very nice feel to it. I am not opposed to the branches in the UL at all, they are part of a forest scene and since they are grey on grey, they do not pull my eye there in a distracting way. It has a wonderful intimate feeling, this image. The relationship between the tree on left and trunks on right is great, and there is nice feeling of depth to the scene.

To me this image does have a sense of roughness, but in a good way. I like that it’s not a “typical” image, including the use of shallow depth of field.

Thank you @Keenan_Wadsworth , @Jens_Ober , @brenda_tharp , @DeanRoyer .

I certainly knew this scraggly old tree was not your typical Fall colors scene but I also thought that it might have enough character to be interesting. I actually included those rough, bare branches in the TLC to showcase how rough this tree actually is but I can certainly see how it could become a distraction and also pull the eye. This is what I meant about rough around the edges in my post and not your typical Fall scene.
Keenan: I’m not sure what space I have on the bottom of the image but I will look when I get home tonight and check it out. I purposefully shot this wide open to try and create a shallow depth of field to bring out the foreground tree and soften the background trees.

Brenda: I think you are getting my feeling for this image. Thanks for your comments as always. I appreciate it very much!

Jens: You nailed the other reason I love this image. The cool and warm color tones. Thanks

Dean: Thanks for your feedback. I like that you like the roughness. It’s weird but it kind of works, I guess. :slight_smile:

I saw a fair number of such maple trees in the last few weeks. There was always a soft breeze moving the leaves slightly. Perhaps that’s why you chose to use short depth of field. I like the overall composition. I usually prefer sharpness throughout. I like how those yellow leaves stand out both in terms of color (yellow comes forward) and exposure (bg is darker).

1 Like