In a Whirl

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

As it’s abstract, what do you think was visible to the naked eye?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

I applied a swirling motion to the camera. The subject was rows of small pointed pine trees in a nursery. There is a hint of this at the bottom.

Technical Details

D500 +105mm macro 1/4 sec. f29 ISO 100

Adjusted the Vibrance, Highlights and Curves in Photoshop.

Specific Feedback

Aesthetic feedback would be appreciated - things like color, lighting, composition and texture.

Hi Mike, my immediate thought was this looks like a meadow full of tall grass. Nice abstract with some good movement and highlights.

Edit: Just read your description. Very cool that my guess was not right. Nice work Mike.

1 Like

Reminds me of a rug, Mike, especially the “fringe” on the top. If you cut it in half and mirrored the top half that’s what I definitely would see. I love the vibrant greens and the small patterns appeal to me.

Your subject interests me because I live very close to one of the nurseries of a major Pacific Northwest lumber company (30 million trees a year). You must have gotten pretty low to eliminate any sign of dirt between the rows.

1 Like

Mike,

My first impression is also that of a field of grass - or similar… and given the somewhat repeating patterns at the bottom, perhaps more organized like agriculture - a field of crops, maybe barley or the like. Most certainly a mystery as to the origin of this.

No significant suggestions other than some kind of crop to further isolate the patterns? Of course a big benefit of the ICM is being able to crop and come up with alternate views. Cropping to a more condensed version, perhaps a square crop… could be a viable alternative

Thanks for sharing!

Lon

1 Like