The Forest for the Trees

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is based on an image of the upper part of an alder with colorful catkins against a blue sky taken last spring. Wile it was “pretty” it didn’t do much for me so I decided to play with it on this cold, wet day (and use it to test my 2024 export settings).

Specific Feedback

Does this evoke any response in you?

Technical Details

Original image Sony A1, Canon 180 f/3.5 macro, hand held f/29, 1/400, iso 6400. Processed in LR & PS CC. I started in PS by duplicating the image and shifting it just a tiny bit with respect to the base layer with a difference blending mode. From there it got blended with the original again, flipped vertically and horizontally then finally blended with the original image just flipped vertically. After returning to LR, there were a few final adjustments to emphasize structure.

Creative and engaging image Dennis! At first glance I thought this was fresh snow. I love the patterns, the subtle hints of warm color, and the geometric shapes from the branches. No improvements to recommend on my end.

Very cool, Dennis. Like Alfredo, I have no suggestions.

Dennis, you flip-flopper, you! :rofl: This brings to mind the first snow of the season on a tree that still has some colorful berries. I have no nits. Very nice!

The intersecting lines and hints of color are wonderful. My initial response was that it reminded me of handmade paper.

I thought hand-made paper too. A subtle abstract, which you could replicate with variations in the colors, perhaps making a triptych. Also a candidate for relaxing tessellation (why do I choose words which take me 5 minutes to spell?). All told, another great example of how careful “playing around” can lead you to something very creative, Dennis.

I was reminded of handmade paper too. Or branches agains the sky or reflected in water. I particularly like the texture of the larger branches. As far as a response, the colors impart a happy birthday cake feel for me.

Dennis,

This is fantastic! Easily my favorite of your recent abstracts.

While I recognize the subject matter as isolated tree branches… my reference to reality quickly leaves. I love this! One of the things that really works for me is the uniformity of tones, color, contrast and the branch structure; in other words I’m engaged with this and one of those images I could stare at and explore for a long time and never tire of it.

My very next reaction was, “tell me this is flipped vertically!” I’m NOT saying that’s bad, only that it really looks and feels like it was flipped. Having said that, I prefer your interpretation over the original orientation (I flipped it back to see…). I think having it flipped/rotated actually added more of an abstract sense to this.

Excellent work with this one!

Lon