Birch in the Forest

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was photographing in the deep forest of western Maine and saw this dead birch laying hidden by the deep green ferns. I focused on only the white birch using my long lens knowing the focus would be blurred. I kind of like it. A new technique for me.

Specific Feedback

any feedback is appreciated

Technical Details

Nikon D500
Nikon 5/6 500mm
1/800, ISO 561, f5/6

2 Likes

Well this is pretty sweet. Great seeing - I can never find stuff like this no matter what I do. I don’t think my brain is wired this way. What a treat to see through that magical door to the bark. Maybe picking out far away things with the long lens is the way to do it. Really nicely done. One thing I’d try is to darken the ULC leaves in the back focus zone - and blur them if you can so they match and blend in better. That’s about it. Super shot.

Thank you Kristen, I will try that and thank you for your kind words.

That looks excellent! much more cohesive IMO.

Btw- If you have a second edit, you can add that to your original post by clicking the pencil (edit) icon at the bottom of your post. This allows us to compare both photos in the viewer one after the other. You can also edit the title with something like + 1 Rework or similar to alert the group that you have done it.

Hi Norma, I really like Kristen’s suggestions. The edited version looks more cohesive. Quite an interesting image especially with the green framing the subject. Those dark lines on the white birch remind me of caterpillars. Well seen image Norma. Thank you for posting it.

Thank you so much Alfredo! Nature can be amazing visually not to mention it’s mimicking other things.

1 Like

Your ability to see this image in your mind’s eye, capture it, and bring it to us is a real gift. This is terrific seeing. A very smart way to get the DOF you wanted.
I enjoy letting my eye wander and explore the nooks and crannies of the image … even before I found out that you used birch bark and ferns to create the image. The right side luminescence is a little stronger, and tends to pull me that way. Also the reddish spots grabbed my eye a tad. The attached applies to the right a decreased Lightness and tiny hue shift with a graduated mask, and a Hue shift to the reddish areas; seems to let my eye wander with less interruption into the little universe you created.

1 Like

I really like this, Norma. I feel like I’m looking at a distant view of a pine forest in the winter. I love the way the leaves are framing the view. Really well seen!

thank you Vanessa!

1 Like