Ghost

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

Walking in the neighborhood, I passed by this felled birch lying on ground and saw it in black and white as the death of a beautiful piece of nature, a ghost with outstretched arms. Is it worthy; how might further editing improve it?

Creative direction

See above

Specific Feedback

any

Technical Details

Fujifilm x100v hand held

Description

see above

Black and white was definitely the way to go with this, Larry. I think it tells the story you wanted it to, though I’m sure there are ways you could process it to give it a more ghostly appearance, if you wanted to do so.

Larry, I can see what you were going for here. You found an interesting subject which inspired you to “see” beyond the literal. The fallen birch has some great form to it and black/white was a good choice to convey you message.

One possible way to further express your story is to use motion as another visual element. Next time you are on your walk next to this, try various camera movements to see what helps reinforce the ghostly appearance of the subject. There is a lot of potential here. You could also try combining several different ICM shots in post. Sometimes I use Topaz Analog Efex to help accentuate a mood or feeling.

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank and @Alfredo_Mora . Alfredo, your idea of trying ICM on a subject like is excellent. I will do more of that. If the branch is still on the ground next time I go by, I’ll try it. Otherwise, for this image, it’s no big deal. It’s your idea that counts. Dennis, I ful. ly agree that although this is a nice B&W, it’s not too ghostlike.