Winter Ghost

This is a dead tree I found walking on a recent foggy winter morning. I really liked the almost deformed slightly leaning shape this tree has as it rose above the cedars in the foreground. It was socked in that morning and this was the only photo I captured where the sun was peeking out to back light this subject.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any is welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
X-T4 with 50-140 mm at 124 mm, f/11, ISO160, 1/50 sec
Basic adjustments in C1. Then to Ps to work contrast, dodge/burn, and color balance adjustments. Then cropped and slight vignette added.

Rework from below:

@bolyard_photography
1 Like

Very nice processing the fog… I like the FG enveloping the tree base and the branch highlights are very effective.
Your vision of fog is blue, I see fog as white and I would tweak the WB that way if it were mine.

A wonderfully moody image Adam, I like this image a lot. This tree is certainly interesting enough that it deserves center placement. But then you have surrounded it with a good supporting cast, the cedars in the foreground, and the ghostly hint of the background forest at the top. I think your processing has drawn out just the right level of detail in the fog, and I like the overall brighter luminosity of the fog. WB in images like this is a matter of personal taste. In winter fog images like this I personally like to see cool fog.

That tree is really an eye catcher; I agree with your description and it makes a nice subject. The fog really sets the tone too. As with the color balance personal taste is likely the most important ingredient here, but I think you have room for more contrast while still keeping the charm of the fog. Here’s a visual example:

I wonder what a vignette around the tree would do to John’s rework.

I think it would help emphasize the tree and would help the image overall. But I would only apply the vignette to the bottom and both sides, but not to the top edge or corners. I like the lighter atmosphere at the top.

@Dan_Kearl, @Ed_McGuirk, @John_Williams, @Igor_Doncov,

Thank you for the feedback. It is definitely a tough call on the WB. I initially had it more toward the white but liked keeping it on the cooler end of the spectrum as that was closer to how it actually appeared the day I took it. The overcast weather we were having at the time lend a very cool look in reality, so I was trying to keep that in the photo.

When I initially processed this image, I was trying to err on the side of the ethereal and avoiding too much of a dehaze/contrast effect. I do like the slight addition of contrast and have included my rendition below. I had a vignette added initially when I brought the image back into Capture 1, but it was removed when I went back into Ps and made some additional tweaks before posting on NPN. I do agree that the vignette focuses in on the tree but like Ed’s recommendation to add it primarily to the foreground.

Here’s my rework. Thanks again, gents.

2 Likes

Very nice pictures.
looks very cool - the picture, and the story from version 1 to this last version.

1 Like

Ho @Adam_Bolyard, good shot in my opinion. The mist helps to separate subject from the BG and stands it out. Very interesting scene, thanks for sharing

1 Like