Spreading 2

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Acadia NP. Abstract of complete original image. This cluster of trees with lichens attracted me to this scene.

Technical Details

70mm f/18 2 sec iso 100

2 Likes

Hello Mario - this is a lovely image with all the subtle colors and textures within it. I really like how the tree trunks spread outward as the eye is drawn upward along them. The centered framing of the trees creates a symmetrical feeling to the image and I feel it works well to have that structured composition for this scene. I would not necessarily say this is an abstract photograph, however, as everything is clearly understood in this image. That is not a bad thing, just a reflection on what abstract generally means. Had you just included the trees in the frame, that pattern of lichens and bark would be a definite abstract. This is a lovely intimate landscape to me. Thank you for sharing it with us here!

@Mario_Cornacchione

I really like this. It seems to be all about color. The trunks themselves are neutral grey with patches of upper valued green lichen that sets up as the primary color in the scene. Orange-red and yellow are split compliments to green and therefore in natural contrast to the lichen.

I disagree with @brenda_tharp that it doesn’t fit the definition of abstraction, we apparently hold different definitions.

If you punch the hue and saturation a bit on the red/yellows. This would bring them forward and they would start to compete for figure/ground with the trees and maybe help it to appear more abstract. The example below is a bit overdone.

I am curious, was this a group from the same source coppiced tree? They seem so close together and radiate from a central place.

1 Like

A beautiful image with great colors. I love the contrast between the green hues and the yellow/red/orange one. Nice composition as well. I prefer the original post to @Guy_Manning 's version, which is too saturated for me.

Hi Mario, I think you have a great image here. I like the centered tree trunks with the fall colors framing the image. Between the lichens on the trees and the pop of fall colors my eyes stay on the image to explore it all. My only nit would be the right side feels heavy to me. I might try to soften the colors to equal the left side framing.

Wonderful feedback from everyone. This is fantastic Mario! The colors, form, and texture are the standouts. I agree with Steve about the color saturation on the right side. Just needs a bit less there to even out the colors.

I like the direction Guy was headed with his recommendations too. That would make it feel like the tree is part of the background and appear like lichen.

Thank you @brenda_tharp @Guy_Manning @Steve_Diephuis @Han_Schutten @Alfredo_Mora for your reviews and comments. I think the weighting is an issue on the right side and will make a change in saturation there to see how that looks.

Mario,

A bit late, but just had to comment… I love this image! Love the juxtaposition between the radiating trunks up front and the background colors.

Agree with most comments and think tweaking the right side oranges a bit to match tonality of the others would help balance - but that’s pretty minor.

The only other suggestion I have would be to reduce the magenta. The “gray” trunks have a bit of magenta - which may or may not reflect reality… but I just don’t like magenta… lol. :slight_smile:

Well seen, photographed and presented!