Infrared desert

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I posted another shot of backlighted cactus a few days back. This place is fairly near me so after I realized how good the light was right after sunrise, I went back with an infrared camera and took this one in the same general area.

Specific Feedback

The desert doesn’t light up evenly and there are a few spots in the background that were lighting up. I wasn’t sure what to do with those. They’re somewhat distracting but I didn’t want to remove them all. I toned some down and removed a few but I’m not sure I found the best solution.

Technical Details

ISO 100, 135 mm, f/11, 1/5 sec.

1 Like

The strong contrast works well Don; it’s always interesting to see how the IR camera views scenes.

Those saguaro are the star of the show for me, and my personal preference would be to crop to a 2:3 ratio to make them stand out even more.

Those background spots could be toned down a bit more to help focus the eye more on the saguaros and surrounding vegetation, but they’re really not bad as is.

Thanks for the suggestions, John. I’ll give some thought to a crop.

1 Like